1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question for the math whiz bassists

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, May 10, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    So i need to pass this math class im in to get into a chemistry class next fall. Passing is a 70%. Right now im at a 64% and want to find out how well i need to do on my final to get at least 70% in the class. The points total in the course as of now is 720; I have 462 points. The final is worth 25% of my total grade, and is out of 100 points. So how well do i need to do on this final to get a 70% in the class. I am trying to figure out how i need to manage my studying time and depending on how well i have to do on this final will determine if i study more for this over another class.

Thanks

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Just do as well as you can. I've learned that doing "just enough" is often "almost enough but quite sufficient".

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you can't figure this one out on your own, forget about chemistry.

-Mike

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    +1

I agree with this too. How the heck can't you figure this out if you're trying to take math _OR_ chemistry?

5. You need to get 88% on your final to pass with a 70% for the class.

Here's how I did it. Your final is 25% of your grade, so you have already earned 75% of your grade. For sake of ease, let's look at the percentages as points. You can earn up to 25 points on your final, you have had the chance to earn 75 points thus far. You have earned 64% of these 75 points so far, which is 48 points. You need to end up with 70 points total to pass, and you have 48 so you will need to earn 22 on your final, which is out of the 25 possible, which is 88%.

I say good luck to you. I hope you started studying yesterday.

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The information you give is not explicit enough to solve the
    problem.

Are you saying that the 720 potential points are weighted
    as .75 of the total grade? Or that 820 is the final point
    total? If you state the problem correctly to begin with,
    setting up the calculation is not so hard.

No, I am not giving you the answer. You really ought to be
    able to figure this out yourself, and me doing the math for
    you isn't helping you at all.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Eh, I think he was wondering about study tips so he can score high enough on his final to pass. The best thing to do is do a lot of problems, and look over previous exams to see where you went wrong. Pay close attention to those previous exams as some similar problems might be on the final.

8. I forget the formula. Something like

Marking period 1 grade x .375

+

Marking period 2 grade x .375

+

Final grade x .25

=

Final grade?

I forget.

So if you go a 64% both marking periods and a 100 on the test, that would put you at a 73%

64 x .375 + 64 x .375 + 100 x .25
    24+24+25=73

I could be way off though...

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the right answer is 88%.

interesting calculation:

the total number of points in the course is

720 + x,

where "x" is the number of points the final exam is worth.

we know that "x" is a quarter of the total number of points, so we have

x = 1/4 * (720+x).

you solve that to get x=240 points.

this makes the total number of points 960.

he just needs 70 percent of that, which is 672.

now we have an equation

462+y=672,

where 462 is his number of points so far, y is his points to be earned on the final to pass, and 672 is 70 percent of the total points possible.

clearly, then, y is 210.

in percentage form, that's 210/240, which is an 87.5% or 88% (to be safe).

10. Not to disrespect the King, lol, but isn't that the same number I posted? No matter, I am glad the King can calculate - it's important in ruling a kingdom of flame broiled meat!

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, i was just letting Linas know that The King approves of your calculations.

12. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

His future ain't looking good then. I guess he won't be
    working for DuPont in the future.

Next math question.

What are the chances that a student with a
    64% average is going to get a B+ on the final?

Answer. Depends on how much work he puts into it.
    Staying away from here at final exam crunch time
    might help.

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    definitely.

14. Linas - how soon is the final? If it's soon and you really want to pass you'd best go and beg the teacher for some extra help. For real. If it's still a bit off, I'd still suggest a tutor, and definitely start studying now. They're right - an 88 for a 64 student would be a challenge for sure. So get cracking! Don't let yourself down...

Oh yeah, and all hail the king!

15. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have one week. Its deffinitly doable to get a high B, if i study my ass off. Also if i do not pass the course, i can take 2 placement tests each year, which if i did good on that, it counts as having that course under my belt, allowing me to take science classes. Thank guys for figuring that out, and i do have acess to free tutoring within the school, so i will deffinitly make use of them in the next week.

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so we'll see you in a week. :D

17. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i concur with 87.6%

(462/720)(.75) + (x/100)(.25)=.70
    solve for x

good luck with that final. its the chem finals that drove me to drink. (well, drink more.)

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm such a perfectionist. *LOL* My math professor has a policy that if at the end of the semester, you have a C grade or better, you can choose whether or not to take the final. The final will replace your lowest exam score, and you can't be hurt if you score low on the final. This semester, I have an A- in statistics, and I'll be taking the final today.

Hey, when you know grad school's in your future, an A is always going to be better than an A- on the the ole' transcript. :D

(I've only ever gotten one A- before. :bag: )

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

in a way, i'm glad that UF doesn't give out A-'s. the 'A' says, "congratulations! you know the material!" while the '-' adds, "...but screw you."

(on the other hand, i'd have definitely benefited if they gave out A+'s... :ninja: )

20. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Yeah, my transcript only says A, so far i have strait As, but im only one year into school. I do fine in everything but when it comes to math, its a complete different language, and its just really hard for me to comprehend. Although, my professor does suck at teaching. Any time i go see student tutors, they can explain it much better than my prof. ever did.