A question for the multi-stringers who were proficient on a 4 before switching...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    ...did you feel the need to downplay one or more aspects of your technique as a trade-off for your extended range? If yes, did you feel the need to work on that particular aspect of your playing or did you drop it altogether?

Please describe your playing before and after changing.
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I definitely dropped the stunts like tapping and much of my slapping due to not being able to mute all the strings efficiently when I first switched to 5. Figured maybe I'd gradually work it back in, but I found I didn't really miss it much and never bothered. What little slap bass I play is very economical and to-the-point now, whereas it used to be the whackity-whackity kind of sh*t you hear in every GC on Saturday. However, I tend to play much more melodically because I have more to work with within easy reach.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, the low B forces me to play more cleanly than before, and with greater emphasis on muting, but I still play all of my old 4-string stuff, including the slap/tap wankery. The muting took a little bit of getting used to, but I think I have the hang of it now.

These days, I do less of that and more basic fingerstyle lines, but I'm not sure if this is due to the instrument or maturing musical tastes.
  4. -ditto :)

I found that in the process of developing my string muting technique my articulation also improved significantly.
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Muting. I hardly ever think about it when I'm playing fours. I have one five with tighter string spacing, and I don't have to concern myself much with muting on it. My other two fives have 3/4 spacing and a bigger emphasis is placed on muting.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it cleaned up my technique something fierce. i went from 4 to 7, so when i started i had a hard time even fretting and plucking the same string :eek:

i can honestly say that i've gotten a lot better on 7 than i ever was on 4, which took a while.

i'd say the biggest things to change were the muting and cleaning up the ole' plucking hand.
  7. I'd have to say that my style improved when I switched to a 5, but I didn't drop any techniques. I've never had to mute, unless I wanted to palm mute when using a pick. Nowadays, I rarely use a pick. I dunno, I was playing for 2 maybe 3 years when I made the switch, so I didn't really have a developed style when I was playing a 4.