Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question for those that have Lindy Fralin "J" pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tjclem, Sep 28, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I just got a used set and want to be sure they are for real. These have "cloth " type lead covers. The bridge reads 9.3K and the neck reads 8.75K The covers slide off easy and the windings are not covered with anything. Does this sound correct?......tom

2. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Fralins definitely have cloth over the leads. I never took mine out of the bass they were in when I had it, but it wouldn't shock me if they came out fairly easily. Many pickups do.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I couldn't tell you for sure, but that sounds like Lindy Fralin construction. Lindy strives for the vintage sound and construction.

4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I think your ears will tell..if they sound absolutely great, they are probably Fralins.....

I have them on my MIM Jazz bass, and it transformed the sound completley..

I do wish that Fralin would proudly put thier name on the pickup cover, though..take a little credit for a job well done...

The only difference visually between the fralins and the originals is that the fralins have cleaner looking pole-pieces, and none of them are raised higher then the other.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

assume you know you can send them to Fralin and they'll verify them. So apprently THEY know how to identify them. Unless there's reason to mistrust your source, I'm inclined to think they're probably legit. I bought a single Fralin just to check one out - there a tad steep in price and there's not tons of them floating around.

It had a large round dimple in the base of each of the screw columns on the cover (My fenders are in basses so I can't check on them) and my bassline has 2 small circles on each screw column. Just molding marks I assume. The winding was bright copper. Leads black and white cloth. Poles were even and not quite flush to the cover. Noticeably clean and thin tone.

Could probably easily be mistaken for a vintage fender in appearance, probably not in tone. Any late model pup I've seen with the cloth wiring is not likely to be a cheap pup and probably not enough difference in value (stock not custom wound Fralins) for someone to try to pass them off as any different than what they are (if they indeed knew to begin with).

Bottom line: if it sounds good, it is good - no matter they cost or who makes them.