1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question for those who tune to D standard

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bassnomer, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bassnomer

Bassnomer Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Hello all, I know there are quite a few of you on here who tune to D Standard (DGCF). I enjoy the sound and feel of this tuning, and I'm considering using it all the time. I also play acoustic/electric guitar, so I'm thinking of tuning those the same way for consistency and more chord options. My question is; is it difficult to relearn the fretboard when switching to a new tuning? Also, is there any downside to it (for example, if someone is teaching or demonstrating and the positions/notes they're calling out are different from yours?)

Thanks!

2. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I tend to think in terms of patterns and a starting point. Getting used to tuning a half step and then a full step down from a fret board perspective was no more difficult then thinking in relation to the Capo positions on guitar except you don't see transposed chord charts like you do for guitars with a capo position printed. Getting used to less string tension was overcome relatively quickly. And when I did reach for the wrong fret position when in a transition phase my ear told me

MalcolmAmos likes this.
  3. Bassnomer

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Thanks for your response! I suppose that the main thing to do is simply play with that tuning until my hands go where they need to like in standard tuning. I assume that the mental transposing eventually takes a back seat and you don't have to be focusing like crazy to play the right notes. :D

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    since DGCF is the same intervals as EADG - it's all fourths - then the pattern shapes won't change, just the starting frets.

tuning your guitar to match will not give you "more chord options"
    It will just change which chords you can play using open strings.

5. Bassnomer

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    I know it won't create new chords out of thin air; I was implying that it would be useful to have the option of using a low D and Eb on the guitar when it's called for.

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Just a nit picking point here. That is not standard tuning. Standard tuning for a bass is E A D G. Any other tuning is an Alternate tuning.
    Thank you, drive safely going home and have a great evening.

7. Bassnomer

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    I think we may need to make this a sticky, as the majority of talkbass needs to be schooled! Alternate D Tuning in Fourths?

But yes, you're right, it is not technically a "standard tuning". :D

8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    This: Standard tuning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Just because it is still fourths, doesn't make it standard. Been that way for a couple of hundred years.

9. Bassnomer

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Yes, I know this. It is not a standard tuning. You're right! It's simply a way that most people on here refer to that tuning.

Gravedigger Dav likes this.