Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Question for Warwick players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Where is the serial number located on the Warwick bass? I have a red bodied 4 string Corvette FNA (with the wide single PU in the sweet spot).
    I think it's a 2001, but I'm not sure...
    And I don't know what the neck is made of; it's a beautifully grained piece of hardwood to be sure, but what kind of wood? Bubinga? Wenge? Mahogney?
    I figure if I can find the double-dang-nabbit friggin hidden serial number (it's not on the headstock) then I can write and ask Warwick about this bass, no?

Gracias,
    Greywoulf

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Serial numbers on Warwicks are on the back of the headstock...the last two numbers are the year of manufacture. From the year you think yours is, more then likely you have one with an ovankol (sp?) neck. The older ones usually had wenge necks. Bothe of these are very hard woods, but the wenge is distinctive due to its very open grain.

STeve

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I sold an FNA4 a few years ago and I still regret it. I tried replacing it with an FNA5 and the 5 did'nt have the tone.

4. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    if its 2001 or around here it should be made of ovangkol with wnge fingerboard unless it was some sort of custom order. ovangkol is the same wood that the thumb bos are made of. they no longer make the FNA it has been replaced with the FNA jazzman.

5. My warwicks both have their serial no. stamped on the end of the headstock.

6. yea its stamped on the end of the headstock on my 1992 corvette proline

7. Okay, I found my FNA's serial number. It was stamped on the back of the headstock, high up between the tuners and very hard to see.

Interesting; I discovered this Corvette is a '98, even though I bought it in 8/2000 and had thought it a current model. But no problem, as I bought it 'off the hook' because I liked it (and still do) and not because it was of any special year.

There doesn't appear to be a separate fingerboard; the neck and fingerboard seem to be carved out of one solid piece... And this neck is a beautiful dark brown, highly grained wood, so I'm guessing it's probably Wenge?

Namaste,
    Greywoulf d];>]}

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    1998 was the last year of the all-wenge made necks...so yes, yours has one. I think they still made the fingerboard separate, you just have to really look hard to see the seam.
    1998 was also the last year of the recessed-mounted straplok buttons.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The fingerboards are defintley seperate.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yep - sounds like my '98!