1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a question for you g&l owners out there.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UnderDogbassist, Sep 21, 2010.

1. i want to get an l2000, but there's just one thing. i know how people say this bass is soooo versatile, but that's what they say about the stingray as well. i need something can give me that round tone for jazz, i was wondering if an L2000 can produce that song, all the videos ive seen of em have a bone dry kind of sound, i nees something rich and can fill in the sound. does the L2000 have this capability?

2. pinebrookjohn

pinebrookjohn

Oct 24, 2009
    Scranton pa
    i have an l1000 and love the sound of it. to me the sound of the l1000 is a more growley jazz. plus you have the 3 way switch to change sounds.

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I don't hear much Jazz bass in my L-2000s. The single coil option gets you closer but it's not the same. Why not get a Jazz bass if that's the sound you want?

4. I don't think I'd agree with the bone dry thing, but you won't get a real Jazz sound out of it. Ain't gonna happen. Bdgotoh is absolutely right.

I have an L-2500 that does single coil on the outer coils, but it is CLEARLY a G&L. It can certainly do jazz as a genre, but it's not a Fender Jazz.

Here's a little something I did a while back in general response to the question, "How can I make my L-2000 sound like..."

Really, if you're after a Fender Jazz sound your best bet is to get a Jazz. AND an L-2000 - they're a great bass. There is also the G&L JB, which is G&L's take on a Jazz bass. But even it doesn't sound exactly like a Fender Jazz.

Ken...

5. but i'm not asking for a jazz bass tone, i'm asking for a tone suitable for jazz, so like something that resembles like nathan easts work in this one , with a softer, easy on the treble side. and you say that the L2000 can't make a perfect p or j sound. but is the L2000 sound a distinctive one on it's own? you make it seem like the L2000 can't make those tones so it's a BAD bass.

6. Ah! Perhaps I misunderstood you. Sorry about that.

If you're looking for the expressive capabilities of Nathan East's playing, where he's working the bass as an extension of the sound in his head, then the G&L can get you there. It won't sound like Nathan - it'll sound like you. Which is as it should be.

No, the L-2000 is not a bad bass. Far from it. Its sound is VERY distinctive and not at all like anything from Fender or Yamaha. It can be a very aggressive instrument or it can be a sweet sounding bass that works well with an acoustic guitar. It can do anything from hard rock to jazz to folk to whatever you want. How you get there is the adventure. Playing style, EQ, strings, etc are all part of the formula.

Ken...

7. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    I learned to play on a fretless L1000 and it's awesome for jazz. Nice strong attack, big tone. Find one and try it, you'll see.

8. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Whoops, sorry I misunderstood what you meant. First off, I think the L-2000 is awesome. One of mine is the bass I've owned the longest and will never sell, the other is a year old and won't be sold either. So there's no way Ken or I are saying it's a bad bass.

I think the best way to know if it's right for you is to check one out in person. The Tribute series use USA pickups and preamp so the sound is very close but the hardware and build quality aren't as good. Tributes are in most stores so you should be able to find one to try out.

9. Rob!

Rob!

Sep 21, 2010
    Laguna Beach, CA
    I'm not sure this will help but I have a L1505 and I used to actually play that song (Chameleon) in my jazz combo when I was a teen playing at the little festivals/ competitions in the fine art centers at the different schools in Southern California about 15 years ago (I had a cheap bass back then).

Honestly, the G&Ls that I've tried (especially mine) wouldn't be my first choice for doing something like that... mostly because of the feel more so than the tone... but everyone's hands are built a little different.

Doing a quick search, it looks like N East played Yamaha, Music Man, and Fodera - currently endorsing Yamaha... It looks like he has his own signature model (Yamaha BBNE2).

10. If you want a G&L for Jazz, then you must look at the JB or JB2. I have 2 of the latter, and positively swear by 'em.

11. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Inactive

Jul 11, 2010
    On the L2000/2500 models, it's possible to tweak the eq to accomodate ANY style. If there are any classic basses the L-series is good at emulating, it's a Precision (flame on!) and a Stingray...but it even does a poor job of that (in the best way possible). Something I have recently learned: Having patience with an L-series G&L is a must, as these basses reveal new shades of tone the more you explore. Every live sound you can get out of it, when used tastefully, is a good one. The same can't be said for far too many other "classic" basses.

12. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    If you want to do jazz then a fretless helps a lot. I have a G&L ASAT semihollow fretless. It has the same electronics as the L2000. The ASAT may have a little more mass to the tone given the big plank of a body.

Anyway, I currently have mine strung with GHS tapewounds. I set the pickups to parallel and use the neck pickup. I recently sat in with a new group; the drummer has loads of musical experience and has done a lot of fusion and jazz. He marveled at how well my bass copped an upright vibe. With the tapewounds (and not just any will do--these GHS's rival the tone of the LaBellas for less than half the price) on a fretless the attack and tone has a rolling swell reminiscent of an upright, and far more relaxed and rolling than roundwounds on frets regardless of the pickups and settings.

The big humbucker of the L2000 and ASAT also helps complete this sound. TI Flats also work well for getting that upright vibe.

13. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Not to say they are wrong but I think people like to believe that whatever they use is versatile. That said the L2000 is very versatile. It doesn't sound like any other bass and other basses don't sound like it. I think it can work well in pretty much any style of music however it's "stock" sound tends to be aggressive.

14. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I've played my drummer's ASAT at a rehearsal, and compared to my Sadowsky (Jazz-style with Nordstrand pickups), it did sound "dry", meaning the beginning and end of notes was very clean and clear even with the tone rolled all the way off. There is a lot of fundamental in each note. Because it has humbuckers, the harmonic structure is not as full and complex as a single-coil instrument. My fretted Sadowsky sounds like it has a bit of "mwah", the G&L has a more straightforward/square sound to its notes. On the other hand, it sounds bigger and burlier with more low-end oomp. They both sound great.

It's really a personal preference. Jazz, precision, G&L, Stingray... They all do a fine job in either rock or jazz. Try one out and if it speaks to you, it will probably do fine in any genre you play.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021