1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question for you Janek...

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Phil Smith, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Do you think you musically you would be doing anything differently if you didn't have to worry about money, in other words, if when you came to the USA you essentially unlimited financial backing how would that shape your decision making process with respect to what gigs you do and which ones you don't and which musical avenues you persue?

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    Well maybe if I'd had unlimited money when I moved to the States I would have moved to the states. I wouldn't have needed the motivation of struggling a little to make good art. I think money and art, when they're put into the same question when it comes to the development of an artist, cloud the lines of what art is about.

Are there some gigs I regret having done? sure. are there some that I wished I hadn't have had to do? absolutely. But I think that's all part of the learning process and I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. I think I'm a better player for doing some of the crap gigs as well as the great ones.

And I would also point out that having unlimited financial backing is unheard of with artists who make good art. At least I don't know of any. There is always some level of emotional or financial struggle or hardship that goes into shaping your sound, and I don't think there's too much wrong with paying some dues and doing some questionable gigs from time to time.

I'm very fortunate now to be able to pick and choose the people I work with more and more. It's not always my choice, but it's getting better and better for sure.

Easy,

Janek

3. bassnutj

bassnutj

Dec 26, 2007
    You should consider yourself very fortunate Janek. In these economic times more and more places are getting rid of live music, and the places that do have it are paying the same as they were 15 years ago. And yet we pay 4 times as much for gas to get to the gig.
    I have to turn down gigs all the time that just aren't worth it because it will cost so much in gas and tolls, etc. and the gig pay is not that great. I make twice as much giving lessons and I don't have to travel.
    You certainly deserve your place though. You've got enormous talent and enthusiasm, that is obvious.
    I just hope things turn around for the rest of us in the next few years, otherwise, I may have to seriously consider some other way to be involved in music and still earn a living. Gigs are just not cutting it these days.