A question for you veteran pre/power amp users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbajo60, Oct 20, 2004.

1. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    After many (MANY) years of using 'ready-to-plug & play' amp heads, I have just put together my Avalon U5 - Stewart 1.6 rig, which will be powering (bridged) two 8 ohm Acme B2s.

My question is about speaker cabling.

Is it best for me to "piggyback" the banana plugs at the amp end, or should I run one cable into the first cab and then run another cable out of it into the second?

My instinct tells me that it's the "piggyback" route that's best, but I'd like to be sure!

Thanx ahead of time for the benefit of your collective experience and wisdom! :D
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I prefer to run two separate cables from the head to the cabs. That way, if one should develop a problem, it won't affect the other. YMMV.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I agree with Eric! Thats also one of the reasons I run my power-amps in stereo......if one channel blows, I still have one working.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i forget the science behind it but i seem to recall that when "daisy chaining" cabinets together the second cabinet in the chain will receive slightly less wattage than the 1st in line. I usually "piggy back" my cables when bridging or running multiple cabs off of one side. That said, I've "daisy chained" a zillion times with no ill effect.
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    In this case I would piggyback. The only other way would be to chain the two cabs unless you go stereo.
  6. It's preferable to run from the amp out to each cab separately. (the "piggyback" method) This reduces the effect of the impedance of the speaker cables. Granted, it's not much, but every bit helps IMHO.
  7. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    There is no difference which way you hook up. The cables are too short to have any effect on power loss. Even 16ga cable is just fine. For my PA stuff I only use speakon and use rack patch panels with female neutrik to bare wire on the amp side. Problem is on my bass rig there are no rear rack rail to mount such a panel! So 1/4 it is. I will convert my Edens to speakon soon though, I hate using 1/4. Banana has a better contact but it's much easier to fall out as well.