Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question from a newbie....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quallabone, Aug 2, 2003.

1. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Hello people. I can't believe I made it this long without registering here. I'm 18 and I've been playing bass since I was 8. I play in a hip hop "roots" style band as well as a funk/blues band.

The fury guitar shop is 5 minutes from my house and I've been playing Glen's guitars since I was 12. (Dingwall is 10 minutes away, and PURA is 15)

I own 2 Fury tornado's and a Carvin BB70P. For shows I run them through an Ernie Ball volume, boss autowah and boss octave. Everything then goes to an SVT4 head to a classic 410 and a classic 115.

Now for the question... I've been offered what I paid for the SVT4 and I'm going to take it. I already have an SVP-PRO and need a poweramp now. I noticed that Carvin makes some nice numbers at a very low price. Does anyone use their poweramps? If so give me the dirt please...

Thanks a lot
    Geoff in Saskatoon, Canada

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA ANOTHER CONVERTED TO THE TALKBASS CULT BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA- I mean, uh, welcome to Talkbass... We're all normal people here...

Anyway, for power amps, how bout the QSC PLX line? Lightweight (21 lbs), solid, and reliable. Check em out at the QSC site

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Oh yeah another thing, you may want to put this in amps, but a moderator should move it soon enough...

:bassist:

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Hey I'm moving to Edmonton at the end of the month to go to GMCC. Maybe I'll see you out there...

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    LOL, I still got 3 years of school to go! Hey, maybe if you flunk out a coupla times, I'll see ya...:D

Just kidding, best of luck in your studies!:bassist:

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
  7. I suggest you go try them out to see if you get the exact sound you want. You might want to hold off till you get to Edmonton in fact since Saskatoon isn't exactly huge and I doubt the number of stores will offer the selection you would prefer. Edmonton has quite a few music stores and most of them specialize in one or two companies that others don't.

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    and not paying pst is cool as well. I was in your L&M when I was there last month. That is a very nice store. So nice infact that I bought my pre-amp there because they were so helpful.

9. Axe is having a clearence right now so they would be a good place to stop off as well. We have tons of good music stores here.

10. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Might as well keep with the whole Edmonton theme. :D

I've noe xperience with the Carvins, but from readings lots of posts in these forums, I get a feeling they are great amps. People seem to like the power, reliability, and the price.

There are some really good stores to check out some other amps first hand around here. I'm surew you'll find soemthign great.

peace,
    Travis

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I have a Carvin DCM1000 to power my sub. It does it's job, but I'm redoing my rack and it will be replaced with a QSC PLX 3402 that will power the high and low outputs. Good amps for the price.

12. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    The Carvin amps are very good, but if you need more than 1000W, they jump to 3 rack spaces. I have a DCM1000 (2 rack spaces) and a QSC PLX1602. Both have performed without a hitch. The QSC is lighter and more expensive, as you know.

If a 1000W amp is enough for you, and you want an equalizer, Carvin's DCM1001 is a nice option. It's a 1000W amp with built in graphic EQ.

13. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Avenue Guitars has some pretty good higher-end stuff, as does Mother's Music

GO EDMONTON!:D :bassist:

I got a question for the fellow edmontonians here... to those that have a good wide, padded bass strap (cost isnt an issue unless its ridiculous...) where did you get it? Sorry if I hijack the thread, but I need one ASAP and theres no sense in starting a new thread cuz I dont want to buy online...:cool: