Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a question from an optomistic bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by projectBdaddy8, Nov 10, 2002.

1. i was just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on some cds i could buy to play to help me become a better player (not just Claypool and Flea stuff). It doesnt have to be but id prefer if it was christian.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Any King's X, preferably the earlier records.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you're trying to single out music for being christian or not, you're limiting your horizons. It shouldn't matter if it's christian, nor is it important enough to prefer it, or ask if it is christian. It's music, let it speak for itself.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They are, but it doesn't explicitly show in their lyrics (thank god ;) ).

5. cool, i was only asking because i PREFER christian artists. And how would you describe their style?

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A rock trio with unique style, good riffs, amazing grooves and beatlesque harmony vocals. The bassist sings like Hendrix, the guitarist sings great too.

7. crww69

crww69

Nov 10, 2002
    Actually I find cd's that are more beat oriented(repetitive rhythms and such)are better for playing bass,you have alittle more time to improvise(or get your bearings)I used to practice to to COILS "Loves Secret Domaine" all the time.Now it tends to be Vandermark 5 or some Percy or Jonas(I don't try to play EXACTLY what they play,Ijust listen to their melodies and develop counter-rhythms and melodies that complement the piece(Not always,but I try!!!)Some of my best improvs come by just leaving my stereo on in the backround,sometimes that random melody in the backround can get your fingers going to new places or places you just haven't been to in awhile.Good luck!