Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question from the balcony

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Why is it that when someone asks a question about a bass brand that you hate, you feel propelled to wreck the thread by posting very harsh remarks about the bass that the person has just bought. For example: If a person says, "How do I get a certain sound out of my Fodera?" You post: "Foderas suck! They ain't worth the money!" What's the point of that? When people ask about how to get certain things out of Alembics or Fodera, I don't respond. I have nothing of value to add, so why post? Just curious, and this IS NOT aimed at any particular person.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I wish you'd quit targeting me like this.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Why do I do it? Just to piss you off, Woodchuck.

And by that, I mean: I don't do that. Some people need to put down the Haterade and just play.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    :D

5. Could be because everyone has an opinion and wants to be heard. And as much as I hate to be on the receiving end of it, when someone does have a strong opinion that differs from mine it makes me think a little more about how committed to my opinion I really am. Sometime it reaffirms my original feeling, others it shows me where I was not seeing something I should.

Just like TV, if it bugs me, I can change the channel. I don't have to take it personally, and I don't.

--tz

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Player Haters exist in all areas of life, and they seem to proliferate on the internet where the chances of being beaten to a bloody pulp with a Fodera (or a Sadowsky for that matter) are minimal.

Don't Playa-Hate, Appreciate.

7. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley

You're one of the great under-appreciated poets...don't despiar, one day you will be recognized.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    they are just upset because the penis enlarging pills that they bought off the internet didn't work the way that the spam ad promised so they feel that the internet betrayed them and they have to take it out on someone.

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Good one.

I do think all of the negative posts are sad. We should be able to have spirited discussions without being nasty.

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I agree with this toad-licking, butt scratching, puppy kicking, sad excuse of a man. :mad:

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Depends what you mean....:meh:

So the good thing about TB is that you do get some negative opinions - so you know that in Bass Player or other magazines, nobody is going to say anything bad - and the worst you will hear is "good for the price"!! :meh:

I am very glad that people can be honest here and you get likes/dislikes - this gives a vaguely intelligent person, the opportunity to filter through all of these opinions and taking into account who has said it and how they have written etc etc - get an overall idea that you couldn't elsewhere...:)

I'm very glad for some of the negative opinions I have read around here!!

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    When I someone asks, "What do you think of....?, then yeah, be negative. They are asking what YOU think, and I'm cool with that, but when someone asks about a particular nuance of, say a Lull, and if you've never played one or seen one, then why post just to rip Lull for being a "high price Fender clone"? Or if someone starts a "MY new MTD" thread, eventually someone will say, "I wouldn't pay that much for any bass, but congrats anyway." That's what I don't get.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Exactly. I've never played a Sadowsky and I don't think I'll buy one because Fender style basses just aren't my thing but that doesn't give me the right to rip on someone who does like them and plays them. Different strokes and all that

14. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Contrary opinions are great, everything needs balance, but I agree that an awful lot of threads here dealing with a specific bass question ("how do you Warwick Thumb players adjust your blend" for example) end up with answers like " that bass sucks, get an SX" ...... :rolleyes:

The other big problem here at TB is the "stupid answer syndrome" .... Almost without fail, everytime some teenage kid with no money asks "should I get the SX or a Rogue" , somebody is going to tell the kid "save your money and custom order a Stambaugh" .... an answer that is completely useless to the kid.

Ahhh, the internet ..... ya gotta love it ..... :cool:

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well there's nothing wrong with a bit of "realism" - I find most of the gear talk pretty repetitive and dull, unless I have a personal slant on it - I tend to ignore vastly more threads than I add to - so sometimes I see 30 pages of threads since I last visited : 200-300 threads maybe - but will only contribute to 5 or 6 - maybe a dozen ...?

I think we come here to talk and interact - not just read lists of what gear people have - so you say what you think, what it means to you - I don't see anything wrong with that...:meh:

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Gosh, I thought he'd be happier in his true habitat.
    Oh, I think he is.
    Then why is he attacking all those other elephants?
    Well, animals are not like people, Mrs. Simpson. Some of them act badly because they've had a hard life, or have been mistreated...but, like people, some of them are just jerks.

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Reserve judgement until you have read my masterwork: Ode to a Musical Fruit

But thanks for the props. I've got a family to feed and I need all the help I can get.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    like the new sig woody:)

19. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I know it's not the point of the post, but if I read somebody say," Fodera sucks!" they've lost all cred........;)

20. +1 on all the above comments. There's no reason for people to say something sucks just because it's not their thing, and enough of the 'it's not worth the money', which never really gets anywhere:meh:

However... I find the detailed comments from TBers who have owned a piece of gear, used it and ended up not liking it to actually be more helpful than the 'I got this new bass and it's the best thing ever'! Of course, there's nothing wrong with that either, and I'm as guilty as anyone else.

I think well thought out criticisms of a piece of gear (amp, bass, whatever) can be very helpful as long as people don't take it the wrong way.:)