a question.. help me out..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by quad_strings, Jan 22, 2003.

1. quad_strings

Jan 22, 2003
    hi! im a newbie so.. i have a question.. i use a 4 string, and was wonderin if can use .135 gauge strings.. is .105 the thickest it can get? im usin a squier so.. :p
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Don't worry about string guages now. You are new to the bass, so practice and get to know the beast right now. By the way, .135 is usually used for 'B' strings, and unless you are going to tune your strings to 'BEAD', I would stay with the standard tuning ('EADG').
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, quad!

I don't know what you're hoping for with a .135 string, but, here are 3 factors that lead me to believe such a large jump in gauge may not work out well/at all;

1. The width of the nut's slot may be too narrow for a much larger string. As Wizard says, a .135 is B string territory and your bass was made for typical E gauges.

2. The thicker string may not fit well into the bridge saddle. or, fit at all. A .135 string used as an E may just set on top of the saddle instead of into the saddle as a string should.

3. You may find the .135 is too "wobbly" since your Squier wasn't made for something that large. The reason so many 5-string basses have a 35" scale is to ensure a taut B string (although there are some good 34" scale fivers on the market. But those I know of use a tiltback headstock design).

If you're hell-bent on trying it, ask the dealer who sold the bass or any Fender dealer.
  4. quad_strings

Jan 22, 2003
    coz i tune down my bass to cgcf, and my strings hit the fretboard every time i hammer, coz its too loose.. it somehow produces a "clicking" sound coz it hits the fretboard.. wat can i do to prevent it?
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Think of a utility line between two poles. If you increase the length of the line and not the distance between the poles, the line is going to sag.
    You're doing the same thing, essentially, when you detune like this. Your string hits the frets (and probably your pickup if you haven't lowered it).

You could try raising your bridge saddles until the thing is practically impossible to play.

I tried transforming my first/only guitar into a bass
    by driving nails diagonal to the tuning posts into the headstock. The strings had to go a longer distance to the tuning posts. I could put more tension on the lower-tuned strings. It sorta worked, but I don't advise it...(hey! I was only 12 years old!).

Or - stuff your ears full of cotton???
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, there are a couple of issues here. First off, if your bass is set up for standard tuning with .045-.105 strings, and you tune down to CGCF, the neck will probably flatten out quite a bit due to the lower tension, bringing your strings closer to the frets. If you're going to use this tuning all the time, you should probably get strings designed for de-tuning and have your bass set up for them. For instance, GHS boomers are available in a .050-.115 set, which might be pretty close. Also, you can buy singles from someone like www.juststrings.com
    and assemble whatever set you want. .135 sounds pretty big for a C, though.

Hope this helps.