A question of bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Artist, Oct 28, 2003.

1. I own a Ibanez Gsr200 (my first and only bass) and I've borrowd a Peavy T-20. Could it be that the peavy is a "better" quality bass? allso it only has one pickup (me thinks it's a jazz bass)
    It is much easyer to play around the neck area, maybe it's just coz the strings are a lighter gauge (not sure).
    I can manage ok with my current bass, just my pinky is hardly usable (if the sound of the Peavy was better I would play that one instead, coz it feels like a guitar to my pinky) either I'll get lighter strings, or a new bass, depending on my cash to spare and the outcome of this thread (no pressure;)

Thank 4 your help
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds more like a setup or "action" thing - so the Peavey may well have an action that suits you better, as a result of a decent setup.

Have you ever had your bass set up by a professional? Maybe that's what you need!!
  3. no, I havn't. I've been thinking about having that done (like ajusting the thrus rod, or whatever it's called). but I thought if I got lighter strings it would fix things.
    I'll defenetly take your advice and take it to a pro. There is only one shop where they said they would/could do it they said they could do it on the spot when I bring it in, is that ok? (it just seems so easy):rolleyes:

4. There's more to setting up a bass then just adjusting the truss rod(s)
    Read the FAQ

If you are not experienced I would suggest that you take your bass to a tech who is.

It sounds like you want your action setup like this other bass you played.

The correct setup can make this close to perfect for you!

5. Sounds great! thats the answer I was looking for since I've been playing (three years, self tought, lerned everything/most of I know from helpful talkbass-ers like you)

p.s. does it cost alot? how long does/can it take?
  6. $35 to $45 US dollars and it takes about 20 to 40 minutes depending on the tech.

You can leave it over night and expect to pick your bass up the next day.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I also recommend that you get the gauge of string you want when you get the bass set up. Most techs will put on a new set of strings on a setup, but a few don't. A set up will vary depending on the strings you use. A bass that is set up for a .105-.45 set, may not play well or be intonated properly when you put on a set of .95-.40.
  8. kel_fluronova

Nov 10, 2003
    i'd say it's a matter of personal taste.. i own a gsr200 as well and a friend of mine has the peavy, and i much prefer the sound and feel of the ibanez. However, i keep the Ibanez tuned to DGCF so maybe that affects the way it plays (looser strings?)