Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question of bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Artist, Oct 28, 2003.

1. I own a Ibanez Gsr200 (my first and only bass) and I've borrowd a Peavy T-20. Could it be that the peavy is a "better" quality bass? allso it only has one pickup (me thinks it's a jazz bass)
    It is much easyer to play around the neck area, maybe it's just coz the strings are a lighter gauge (not sure).
    I can manage ok with my current bass, just my pinky is hardly usable (if the sound of the Peavy was better I would play that one instead, coz it feels like a guitar to my pinky) either I'll get lighter strings, or a new bass, depending on my cash to spare and the outcome of this thread (no pressure;)

Thank 4 your help
    SCODI

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds more like a setup or "action" thing - so the Peavey may well have an action that suits you better, as a result of a decent setup.

Have you ever had your bass set up by a professional? Maybe that's what you need!!

3. no, I havn't. I've been thinking about having that done (like ajusting the thrus rod, or whatever it's called). but I thought if I got lighter strings it would fix things.
    I'll defenetly take your advice and take it to a pro. There is only one shop where they said they would/could do it they said they could do it on the spot when I bring it in, is that ok? (it just seems so easy):rolleyes:

thx
    SCODI

4. There's more to setting up a bass then just adjusting the truss rod(s)
    Read the FAQ

If you are not experienced I would suggest that you take your bass to a tech who is.

It sounds like you want your action setup like this other bass you played.

The correct setup can make this close to perfect for you!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Sounds great! thats the answer I was looking for since I've been playing (three years, self tought, lerned everything/most of I know from helpful talkbass-ers like you)

SCODI

p.s. does it cost alot? how long does/can it take?

6. $35 to $45 US dollars and it takes about 20 to 40 minutes depending on the tech.

You can leave it over night and expect to pick your bass up the next day.

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. ...thanks again;)

SCODI

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I also recommend that you get the gauge of string you want when you get the bass set up. Most techs will put on a new set of strings on a setup, but a few don't. A set up will vary depending on the strings you use. A bass that is set up for a .105-.45 set, may not play well or be intonated properly when you put on a set of .95-.40.

9. kel_fluronova

kel_fluronova

Nov 10, 2003
    i'd say it's a matter of personal taste.. i own a gsr200 as well and a friend of mine has the peavy, and i much prefer the sound and feel of the ibanez. However, i keep the Ibanez tuned to DGCF so maybe that affects the way it plays (looser strings?)