Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question of clipping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanky, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Another thread inspired me to start this one: I had never really paid attention before...but I run an Ampeg B2(rack mounted)and a GK 410 cab. Before I even get up to band volume, both the peak (pre) and the limit (power) lights blink on and off as I play. Out of necessity I go ahead and run it higher (where I usually do anyways but never knew enough to be too concerned) and the lights are hitting pretty steady. I get no distortion from my cab, no audible signs of trouble at all...in fact the tone is great and rock steady. Will adding another cab change the point at which the amp clips or no? I like this rig alot and dont want to fry it, maybe I just need more power?

2. The fact that you've been operating your amp this way for some time and have had no problem means that things are probably working as they should. Will adding another cabinet change the point the limiter kicks in? Tough to say, by adding another cab you will be lowering the impedance to probably 4 ohms which should increase you power output and headroom a few db. Adding more speakers will increase your volume due to the added surface area of speakers. If you amp is rated at the combined impedance of the to cabinets it should work fine and not fry its self. If, however your combined impedance of the 2 cabinets is say (2) and the amp isn't designed to work at (2) then it will probably overheat and shut down. If what you have is working fine and no one is complaining, I’d leave it as is………….jmho………………and………….

3. Yep, its actually rated for both cabs...its a 350 watt head w/2 speaker outs (4 Ohm min.) - and each cab is 8 Ohms-400 watts apiece, so I figured that maybe Ive been running right on the edge with just the one. Im picking the other up today and Im going to add some real high quality speaker cables. And hopefully itll all work out. Lol! I hate to be worryin' when I should be Spankin'!

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I put this in the other thread first....but.....here it is.

It's fine for the preamp peak light to blink. If it stays on, that might get extra preamp clipping, and you might try the -15 jack.
    If the light never comes on, you need to turn up the bass's volume knob or use the 0db input. Otherwise you will have too little input signal and maybe extra noise.

The power amp limit light may blink differently depending on style. If you string pop a lot, you probably will see it. If you play straight "walking bass", it might be pretty loud before you see it.

Same thing, its OK, won't hurt anything in the amp, but the more its on, the more limited/compressed your sound will be. It means you got to full output voltage at least for an instant, and when its on, the limiter is working at least a little.

If the GK 410 is 8 ohms, a 4 ohm load will get louder, so another 8 ohm speaker, or a single 4 ohm would help..

If that isn't enough, then yeah, you might need a bigger amp, or more efficient speaker, or both.

5. Thanks again Ampeg Insider! I caught the other post first, and I apologize for my redundancy. I think its all running at full tilt now!