1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question of decorum: Necroposting vs. "use the search!"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I guess the question here is simple: We're always told "use the search instead of making a new thread," and by and large that works for things like "what do people think of this bass/amp/effect/bassist". On the other hand, what if someone wants to start an active discussion on a topic that's otherwise dead? Necropost in an old, dead thread? Or start a new one?

Is there a preference?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes. I agree.

Did YOU look for this topic in the search?? This could be the kjillionth time a thread like this has been posted. Best bass for metal, P v. J, and Necroposting v. Use the search.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    What is the best Necropost for metal?

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Some forums don't like zombie threads but we're a ok with them.

5. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    Ah, I wasn't sure. That was more the gist of my question. Good to know.

:D

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    In some forums, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Start a new thread, and it's "Search function is your friend".

Search and resurrect and it's

[​IMG]

ZOMBIE THREAD!

7. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    ^What godforsaken black metal band is that?

8. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    dunno ... I just googled "zombie bass player" and clicked "images"

9. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    :D Wonderful. It appears he's Piggy D, the bassist with Rob Zombie. And a solo artist. Huh.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only time necro threads are mock-worthy is when the ressurector contributes nothing, no new question that wasn't answered earlier, no new info for a previously unanswered question.

11. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I ressurect old threads from time to time and no one seems to mind.

On a side note, I've thought about starting what I would hope to be the end of the "best bass for metal" discussion by starting a thread that would seek to list all artist sig models of that genre. Something inside me tells me it has probably already been attemted, though...

12. Might have been guilty of (unintentional) thread voodoo a few times myself... I recall being mocked for it only once. Yeah, seems like people here don't care too much about it.

13. POST WIN!!!

14. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    I was thinking about doing that, except just saying, "What, TO YOU, is the best bass for metal?" and make it entirely subjective.

15. Necroposting is awesome! Most of the thread that come back the dead are at least interesting or something we haven't seen in a while. But all the new topics in the big forums are just butt.

That said, Necroposting in search of actual answers probably won't do much good but I'm willing to bet it's not too tough to fin an answer to most questions one may have about bass junk these days.

16. I like it when someone resurrects a long-dead thread, and then the next five people to post don't realize that it's a zombie.

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    What people don't realize is that this is the Internet!!

Your question may have an answer that is appreciated by someone that comes along years later with the same issue!!

Necroposting keeps things from getting too cluttered, if done right.

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Nothing wrong with necroposting so long as something new is being added to the conversation. If one resurrects an old thread just to post the same thing over again, or to ask a question that's already been answered then yeah, it's kind of annoying. Same goes for starting a new thread about something that's been asked 1000x before

19. people bitch either way.

20. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Let me mark this in my calender. "One year from today, resurrect this thread." A little messing with my iPhone and got it.