Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question of internal dimensions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Indi86, May 3, 2005.

1. Is there enough room in your standard top-routed pbass to fit an Aguilar OBP-1 with a battery? I'm looking at doing some work to my Japanese P to bring it up to speed for me- getting a Nordstrand NP-4, the aguilar preamp, and going with a concentric knob set up for the treble/bass, if it's possible. I'd like to be able to do this sans extra routing.

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    An OBP-1 + battery? I doubt it. You may be able to squeeze it into the space between the pups and first pot. I've heard of some people routing a small cavity above the pups just to hold the preamp. Also, I'm not sure if such a thing exists, but shorter pots? The pots in my P-bass take up a LOT of space, as far as depth goes.

3. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I was able to fit a Bartolini TCT preamp and a battery in my Precision by just routing a place for the battery under the pick guard. The TCT is about the size of a 9-volt so it sat under the 4 pots nicely.