1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question of internal dimensions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Indi86, May 3, 2005.

1. Is there enough room in your standard top-routed pbass to fit an Aguilar OBP-1 with a battery? I'm looking at doing some work to my Japanese P to bring it up to speed for me- getting a Nordstrand NP-4, the aguilar preamp, and going with a concentric knob set up for the treble/bass, if it's possible. I'd like to be able to do this sans extra routing.

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    An OBP-1 + battery? I doubt it. You may be able to squeeze it into the space between the pups and first pot. I've heard of some people routing a small cavity above the pups just to hold the preamp. Also, I'm not sure if such a thing exists, but shorter pots? The pots in my P-bass take up a LOT of space, as far as depth goes.

3. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I was able to fit a Bartolini TCT preamp and a battery in my Precision by just routing a place for the battery under the pick guard. The TCT is about the size of a 9-volt so it sat under the 4 pots nicely.