A question of Muff----

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Insomniac, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Hello, i am considering buying a Big Muff for bass. Right now im using a Boss DS-1 Distortion and dont like it too much. OK whats the deal with the Big Muff and the Big Muff pi? is there a difference? and what about Russian vs. American made? any tonal differences? Post Soundclips of Big muff Bass clips!!! i like the look of the Russian one, but if looks were importanta s they seem, I'd be screwed...lol::rolleyes:
  2. let me start by saying that ALL Boss distortion pedals suck.....tone that is...I own the ODB3,and I hate it(I'm not alone here)I used to like it,and a lot of other people like it,but its not for me...as far as the DS1 goes,that is a guit. dist.and it is probably worse than the ODB3....now onto the MUFF:D...I believe they're all "big muff pi" american and russian..I a\b'ed these two pedals and I like the USA better,but it will kill your lows,but the distortion is about the best I've heard..one thing I DO like about the ODB3 is the blend controll,I wish the big muff had one...and ALL od's\dist.\fuzz boxes for that matter...but you can always get the LS2 line selector and blend your clean signal with your dist. one, and wahlah....a blend controll......as soon as the holidays are over I'm gettin me some MUFF!!!!
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    well, I own both versions, but haven't had time lately to use them much. So this is a pretty useless post, but...

I do plan on A/B'ing them ASAP, I'll try to make some clips too, but it's going to be a while before the studio's up and running again.

One thing I noticed in the little time I have spent with them; if you dial up enough hi-end to get much articulation, the bottom does drop out. I was setting it right about at the halfway point, tonewise- that kept a good thump, but didn't have much highs.

I like the Digitech pds1550 distortion pedal for gut-roiling, pants-flapping, rectum-rumbling roar. It allows for 2 programmable settings and has all the lows I can handle. It's a guitar pedal, I suppose; but it does the trick nicely!

Are you coming thru AL anytime soon? :)
  4. "rectum rumbling roar" :D LOL...good name for a band:D
  5. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I've owned all the Muffs and the best one for bass is by far the older big green Russian one. They blow the new ones away.