1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question of pedal shipping

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Downunderwonder, Jan 17, 2012.

1. What does it cost for postage of a small pedal CONUS? At least 5 bucks right?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Depends on a lot of things.

Weight
    Size of package being shipped
    Carrier used to ship
    Where it's being shipped to/from

If you drop it in a padded envelope and ship USPS, it very well could be $2-$3.
    If you put it in a box and package it very well, it could cost upwards of $10.
    If you factor in packing materials, it could cost another $10 depending on what you buy and use.
    Add insurance, signature confirmation, tracking (if you have to pay extra), etc.

I'd say $5 is about average.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you send it a padded envelope, there's the added cost of the negative feedback you'll receive, and the loss of future sales because of the buyer spreading the word about what a horrible untrustworthy ****head you were for shipping a pedal in a envelope.

Priority Mail in a small box is between $5.85 and $10.50 depending on how far you are from the buyer (within CONUS).

4. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Beat me to it. :D That's exactly what I would've said.

OP: Selling gear used, you almost always take a hit. You wouldn't believe how much money I've "lost" on things I've sold used. Car amplifier that I paid $400 for new, roughly 7 years ago? $25. 5 CD changer? $15. But I always ensure I charge enough for shipping that I can pack it well. Any buyer with a brain knows this. Don't ruin your online rep by shipping a pedal in an envelope. If I got it that way, I'd refuse delivery and demand my money back.

5. I'm trying to figure what's reasonable to deduct from "shipped" price when making an offer on a pedal when I pay actual shipping cost myself.

So the question.was "what's postage" as in what do you pay the post office. Looks like if it rides in a box, as I cluelessly assumed everyone just does automatically, 5 bucks minimum?

6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Note: INSURE, INSURE, INSURE. $2 extra is worth it.

A boss-sized pedal should cost you less than $10 to ship USPS insured.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ah, gotcha. Yes, if it's just a normal small pedal with no large retail box or anything, then I'd say deduct $10 on your initial offer, which gives you a couple dollars of room to deal if the seller is tight-fisted.

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Like Bongo said....go box.

I've been doing it a lot lately....it's usually about $10. It's a little cheaper if you order the postage online....just a bit.

9. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    He's shipping from New Zealand guys. I send a big pedal to Australia from New York, I believe it was 15 dollars for shipping.

10. Buying from US actually. Seller's initial offer less 5 bucks was accepted.

The only pedals that would ever come from NZ to US would be Crowther and Red Witch, being homegrown. Even then, your distribution is so powerful that your prices are on a par with ours so I doubt it would be worth mailing unless some hoodoo market develops for original numbered hotcakes or something.

15 bucks for a big pedal is untracked and uninsured. Most sellers won't fly that way, don't blame them. I've done it on cheapo pedals but for nice ones the peace of mind is worth a few extra dollars, even though nothing ever failed to turn up.

11. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I've actually found it not to be worth it - I've yet to file a claim with USPS, and the chances of ever getting them to pay would be slim.

At 2 dollars for insurance, they could lose one out of every 90 pedals I ship and I'd break even.

12. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I just shipped off a Behringer BSY600 bass synth pedal to its new owner. I padded it in what used to be a hard drive box and securely taped it up. Not terribly heavy. A touch over $5 to ship inside my own state. I've had that cost reach near $10 go from Ohio to Cali. Shipping to Australia wasn't much more, it turned out, only $5 to cross the Pacific.

13. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    +1 they're worse than car insurance companies as far as getting them to pay up. I'd rather sit in the DMV for a couple hours and get a root-canal while I wait. :eyebrow:

14. I agree, but it eases the brain sending cash and pedals into "the void". Nothing ever went missing for me either. International mail insurance is an even bigger rort.