Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question of practicality

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeremy_X, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I have decided to modify my Squier. What I want to do is add two jazz pick ups and replace the p pick up. I also want to add a switch to it so I can select just the bridge jazz, just the neck jazz, only the jazz (meaning both of them), only the p and finally all of them. Is this practical? Is this possible?

2. Slap that G

Slap that G

Apr 16, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm actually looking for the same answers that you are. I have a Squier that i'm planning on defretting and upgrading the pickups on. I'm only doing this though, cause i'm buying a new bass, so it's just a project that I HOPE I don't screw up on.

peace.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The stu hamm sig. bass has 2 jazz pups and a p-pup, iirc.

4. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    The Stu Hamm sig. does have two jazz and a p.

3-Position Mini-Toggle:
    Position 1. All three Pickups
    Position 2. P-Bass Pickup Only
    Position 3. Both Jazz Bass Pickups
    Pan Control pans between the combinations of the front Jazz and P-Bass pickups, all three pickups, and the rear Jazz and P-Bass pickups.

This is almost what I want, I guess this does answer the question. I can do it with the correct switch. Does anyone know if somebody makes 5 way switches for bass guitars?

5. i'm pretty sure a five-way switch is a five way switch is a five way switch. same as a volume pot. you can use it in whatever you want.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    maybe you should just get three volume pots. (more accurate)

7. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    My thanks for the replies. I had not given the volume control any thought. That will work much better than the switch. Thanks.

8. Generally, yes, a switch is a switch is a switch. Stratocaster switches are 5-way I believe, and those are very easy to find. Some people also like to put 7-way switches on, so I know they exist. As long as you can figure out the wiring, any combination of selections should be possible (i.e. jb,p,jn,jb+p,p+jn,jb+jn,jb+p+jn in any order)

9. Not all 5-way switches are alike. You're forgetting about the number of poles.

The standard Strat switch is a 5-way 1-pole switch; it's electrically the same as a 3-way 1-pole switch.

Lately, a lot of 5-way switches have 4 poles for different combinations of series/parallel/single settings and phase combinations. For example, the 5-way switch on an Ibanez RG520 guitar has the following coil configurations:

1. 1+2
    2. 1&2
    3. (1+2)&(3+4)
    4. 2&3
    5. 3+4

where + is a series connection, & is a parallel connection, 1 and 2 are the outer and inner coils of the neck pickup, and 3 and 4 are inner and outer coils of the bridge pickup.

10. Man, it must be popular to hot-rod the hell out of Squires, cause I'm doing it, too. I'm going to use the 3-way switch, though. All three pups, P only, or both Js.

The only trouble I'm having right now is that the second SD J pup hasn't arrived yet, and I ordered it in January.:mad: I have a bass with holes in it just sitting there, not being played. Somebody go tell SD to hurry up.;)

Rock on
    Eric