1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question of practicality

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeremy_X, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I have decided to modify my Squier. What I want to do is add two jazz pick ups and replace the p pick up. I also want to add a switch to it so I can select just the bridge jazz, just the neck jazz, only the jazz (meaning both of them), only the p and finally all of them. Is this practical? Is this possible?

2. Slap that G

Slap that G

Apr 16, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm actually looking for the same answers that you are. I have a Squier that i'm planning on defretting and upgrading the pickups on. I'm only doing this though, cause i'm buying a new bass, so it's just a project that I HOPE I don't screw up on.

peace.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The stu hamm sig. bass has 2 jazz pups and a p-pup, iirc.

4. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    The Stu Hamm sig. does have two jazz and a p.

3-Position Mini-Toggle:
    Position 1. All three Pickups
    Position 2. P-Bass Pickup Only
    Position 3. Both Jazz Bass Pickups
    Pan Control pans between the combinations of the front Jazz and P-Bass pickups, all three pickups, and the rear Jazz and P-Bass pickups.

This is almost what I want, I guess this does answer the question. I can do it with the correct switch. Does anyone know if somebody makes 5 way switches for bass guitars?

5. i'm pretty sure a five-way switch is a five way switch is a five way switch. same as a volume pot. you can use it in whatever you want.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    maybe you should just get three volume pots. (more accurate)

7. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    My thanks for the replies. I had not given the volume control any thought. That will work much better than the switch. Thanks.

8. Generally, yes, a switch is a switch is a switch. Stratocaster switches are 5-way I believe, and those are very easy to find. Some people also like to put 7-way switches on, so I know they exist. As long as you can figure out the wiring, any combination of selections should be possible (i.e. jb,p,jn,jb+p,p+jn,jb+jn,jb+p+jn in any order)

9. Not all 5-way switches are alike. You're forgetting about the number of poles.

The standard Strat switch is a 5-way 1-pole switch; it's electrically the same as a 3-way 1-pole switch.

Lately, a lot of 5-way switches have 4 poles for different combinations of series/parallel/single settings and phase combinations. For example, the 5-way switch on an Ibanez RG520 guitar has the following coil configurations:

1. 1+2
    2. 1&2
    3. (1+2)&(3+4)
    4. 2&3
    5. 3+4

where + is a series connection, & is a parallel connection, 1 and 2 are the outer and inner coils of the neck pickup, and 3 and 4 are inner and outer coils of the bridge pickup.

10. Man, it must be popular to hot-rod the hell out of Squires, cause I'm doing it, too. I'm going to use the 3-way switch, though. All three pups, P only, or both Js.

The only trouble I'm having right now is that the second SD J pup hasn't arrived yet, and I ordered it in January.:mad: I have a bass with holes in it just sitting there, not being played. Somebody go tell SD to hurry up.;)

Rock on
    Eric