A question of stability!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowb, Aug 15, 2000.

1. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm considering getting a warwick. I've played several over the years, however i heard that the wenge necks can become unstable. This is Something which is quite worrying for any bass especially ones which cost a lot of dough.
    Can anyone shed any light! I know a lot of people don't like the open grain feel of the wenge, but i like it, however if the neck is gonna give up on me i wanna know!

2. I've had my two Warwicks for about two years, both neck-through, and I've been pretty happy with their stability. My definition of stability is that they stay in tune, and that the action doesn't change, and on both counts my Warwicks are very stable. I keep them in their cases when I'm not using them. I live in New England, so YMMV. Hope this helps.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Never heard that about Wenge. I really like it as a neck wood, MTD offers it as an upgrade and I haven't heard about any stability issues with them. Cort makes a fretless with an all Wenge neck, I've played a bunch of them and they all seemed to hold their setup well.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ive only heard otherwise. Its an extremely stable wood, because its so dense and strong. A say go buy a Warwick! They wouldnt use it if it had stability issues. Its a very strong and dense wood. So it will NOT give out on you!
  5. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I don't think that you have anything to worry about with the wenge neck, or the Warwick. A friend of mine has one...and has never had a problem. He loves his...so give it a try!
  6. Personally, I like the Wenge neck. It's a nice looking wood, and I have never had any problems.(Knock on Wenge!)
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard this before, the only thing that I can think of is that because it's unfinished people think it's gonna be unstable..

They say(and you KNOW how THEY are!) that wenge is about THE MOST STABLE wood for neck building that there is, Warwick claims that it is as close to composite stability as wood can get.

And it distinguishes a Warwick from being a blatant ripoff of a Spector, real Spectors(USA) are all maple.