1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question of tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by naveman01, Dec 19, 2006.

1. naveman01

naveman01

Dec 19, 2006
    I have a question regarding general tone. I find myself messing with my EQ and setup a lot searching for the sound that I hear on other rigs and albums. I know that every room is different and even my ears are in different condition from day to day so that what sounds good one day might not sound good another. I play in a three piece band so the bass has to carry really bridge the dynamics between the drums and guitar. If I had to pick out an ideal bass tone to shoot for it would be the deep and rubbery tone on Nirvana's Lounge Act. I'm not sure if my equipment or the fact that I play with my fingers lends itself to that sound but I would think that with the right EQ I should be able to get close. If not in a live situation then at least on a recording. Any hints or suggestions on things to try would be great. Here's what I'm using equipment wise.

Musicman Stingray 4-string
    Ampeg SVT 3 Pro
    Ampeg 4X10 cab
    Line 6 Bass Pod Pro

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I play a Sterling with an Eden WT-400.

I always have the EQ on the amp flat but I raise the mids about 3 dbs, around 600-800 Hz.

On an SVT, I would keep the gain high, right before breaking up, and look the mids setting and boost a little at 600-800.

In the bass, I mess with the EQ as need. A little highs and low when funking out, flat when supporting, boost mids and cut lows when soloing.

I have had bad experiences with the Bass POD, bithe live and in the studio. I think it suck the life out of any bass and kills the dynamics.

If you still want to use the POD for effects, use it through the effects loop, not in front of the preamp, and don't use the amp models - just the effects.

Another advice if you can't find what you are looking for:

Start by setting everything flat: bass and amp first. After you get a basic tone you like, play with the POD and adjust.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and don't forget to have at least somewhat fresh strings on.