1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question on chord tensions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by romac, Jul 28, 2004.

1. I recently purchased the book; Chord Studies for the Electric Bass, a Berklee Press book. Now I'm having some trouble grasping a concept shown on page number 7, the first C Major page. It shows the C Major chord with all it's tensions (3,5,7,9,#11 and 13). Now it's the sharped 11th that I'm having trouble with. Why is it sharped? The sharped 11th of C is F# surely the 11th should be used instead (F)??

I'd be greatly if someone could give me some insight into this :)

2. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    In a Major 7 chord, a natural 11 is an avoid tone, whereas the sharp 11 isnt.

In an ionian situation its safer to steer clear of 11s altogether, though the occasional #11 can add some nice colours when used in the right circumstance. Like, if you want to play a wholetone lick, or if you're using it as a chromatic note to the 5

In a lydian situation its open season with the #11

natural 11 + major 7 = evil and must be punished

3. Thanks Slot, that's all I needed to know :)

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You could look it as a C Major chord from the scale of G Major, the chord built on the 4th degree of the G Major Scale with all of the available tensions available being a major chord (D F# A) a whole step above it.