A question on Fretless finishes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, May 13, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    so ive seen around a bit about putting a polyurethane after defretting a bass

Is this really the way to go? any specific brands or anything

what about the epoxy coating used on the fender Jaco model?

or screw it all and stay all natural and just coat it in lemon oil

thanks, the soon to be fretless
  2. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you've said here. Help me out...

How can epoxy coating on a bass "lessen" your voice. If it "gave Jaco his tone" why wouldn't it do something for someone else?

What do you mean "hollowed out gooky stuff"? Epoxy is a catalyst hardened polymer that has been in use for lamination, adhesion, and coating for the better than 50 years. There's about as many types of epoxy as there are uses for it. It's been used in space, underwater, and some of the finest bass guitars ever built.

If you don't think epoxy is the "BEST", what would you suggest for the DIY'er or anyone looking for a fingerboard coating?

How does a fingerboard coating "lessen your tone potential", especially since you use Jaco as an example? Some of the best tones I've ever gotten myself came from epoxy and polyester coated fingerboards.
  3. I just put some tung oil on it at hourly intervals about 2 or 3 times and let it dry completely. I left the wood natural, which means it does get a little worn out, but they're mostly just surface scratches that wipe off with a bit of lemon oil. Rosewood FB, btw.
  4. Hey guys - any recommendation for finishing a bare maple (fretless) fingerboard? Should I look into epoxy or polyurethane? :confused: