1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Question on Pacman's sure-fire scale practice method

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by beaglegod, Mar 12, 2009.

1. beaglegod

beaglegod

Jan 6, 2009
    I looked through the thread to find an answer to my question but still dont quite understand, heres the part I dont understand:

If your doing this exercise however havent you in essence gone over every mode in the particular key your working on just by doing this exercise once? For instance if you played C major using this exercise, starting on the lowest note all the way to the next octave, youve also played D-Dorian, E-Phrygian etc.?

The closest thing I could find to answer my question in that thread was
    :

Sorry to ask this question if the answer is obvious here in what Ive read but I still dont understand how I can do this exercise in every mode of say C Major.

Thanks for any help, Ive started doing this exercise already despite not fully understanding.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    There's two questions here.

First, when I said do all your "C" scales and modes on one day I meant to go through the drill on C major, then C dorian, then C phyrigian, etc, etc. All the way up and down the neck.

Now, to the second part - yes, if you play the method precscribed for C major, yes - you've technically played C major and all of it's associated modes. But if you do that, you're not really getting the point of the exercise, which is to be able to play within any scale, starting on any note, and really *hear* it as that scale.

Remember this method serves mainly to get you to hear each scale as its own entity, not as a subset or derivative of the major scale.

3. beaglegod

beaglegod

Jan 6, 2009
    Hiya Pacman,
    Am I understanding right than that I should play the same exercise over again while mentally focusing on each different mode?
    If I start on Low E and play C Ionian, and than start On Low E and play D-Dorian even though Im playing the same notes I should be focusing mentally on each mode seperately, is that the gist of it? Sorry for needing so much clarifiacation its just one of those things.

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

That's exactly what I'm saying, yes. Remember, I recommend saying (or singing) the note function (number) as you go through this - this helps you differentiate the sound of an "E" as a tonic or as a 3rd, or 6th, etc....

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think this is why it's invaluable to have some kind of keyboard instrument to really hear how those sound against different chords...?

If you don't have keyboard skills you can always use things like sequencers, microcomposers or programmes like "band in a Box" etc. - where you can programme in chords...?

6. I think for this reason it's why recommended you go through the different scales but use the same tonic, ie. C ionian, C dorian, C phrygian etc, like Pacman suggested. Then you won't be thinking "well, I'm playing D dorian but it's exactly the same as C ionian" (which it isn't, but on the fretboard it's quite possible for people to consider it as such), you're thinking more in scalar terms. Bruce's chord suggestion is a great one too.

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    FWIW, I use Band in a Box always when I do this.

8. How do you set it up? Say for example I was doing the scales in A today, how would you setup BIaB for that?

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I have a "song" for each scale.

So I'd use:
    A maj - Major
    A min7 - Dorian
    A min7 - Phrygian
    A maj7 - Lydian
    A Dom7 - Mixolydian
    A min7 - Nat. Minor
    A M7b5 - Phrygian

BIAB will play an arrangement using the chords, and I just practice to it.

10. Fixed ;)