a question on small pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rekesbass, Jun 20, 2004.

1. no I'm not lookin for a puppy :) I am lookin for a pick-up that is about the size of the p\u found in a Squire bronco bass or an old Fender single coil p-bass or tele bass..heres the deal..I just bought a bass at a garage sale recently(for $5.00 thats right 5 american dollars)and I want to replace the p\u's..it's an old Conrad beatle bass copy(anyone heard of them?)that intonates(sp?)properly and stays in tune..it actually is'nt too bad a bass(it's a cheapy to begin with)I've even played a couple gigs with it. the bass has narrow string spacing and 30" scale length typical of most beatle basses,but the p\u's are little single coils..I was wondering if anyone knew of an INEXPENSIVE p\u I could replace the stock ones with?..the SD rail pu's are exactly what I'm lookin for because of the "no pole piece" design but they are too much money to sink into a $5 bass so I'm lookin for a cheap alternative..any ideas??
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'd still suggest the SD Cool Rails. Pick up one on ebay or somewhere else cheapish, use it in your bass, and if you decide to sell or junk the bass, re-sell the pup for minimal loss. With one of these in the Conrad, your total investment is going to be, what, $50? The SD CR's are actually quite a good pup for short scale basses, at least in the neck version I tried. The Vintage and Hot Rails might work well also.