1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Question on tension, strings feel too tight..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by plymman, Jan 14, 2012.

1. plymman

plymman

Jan 3, 2012
    I did a lot of reading around before I bought my most recent set of strings for my new jaguar. I went with some Ken Smith Compressors as I wanted something somewhere between flats and rounds.

Even though they're the same gauge I used to use the strings feel very stiff and seem to have much higher tension. I swapped the low E back to the bog standard Fender string that came with the bass and it was definitely much looser feeling, less tension and easier to play.

I've never really noticed this or thought about it before but sadly after spending out on my new Ken Smith's it looks like they're destined for the drawer and my search starts again. How can I tell whether a string will have a loose or tight feel? Does what I'm saying even make any sense? Why would one set of strings feel stiffer and therefore tougher to play even though they're the same gauge?

I'm now looking at some D'Addario ENR70 half rounds but want to be sure they won't have that same stiff feeling.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Some strings by diff mfg though of same gauge do have more tension. I prefer medium to light myself for bass and light for guitar. Try whichever roundcore version of DR's you think you'd like. Great sound and medium tension. Daddario seema little bit heavier tension then strings I like, thougb that may have been due to them being hex rather then round core. Round core it seems tends to be lighter tension then hex core.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Pressure wound strings of the same gauges of standard rounds are generally going to feel a little tighter.

This is going to be the same with Half Rounds... Half Rounds start as a thicker gauge string that is then ground flat. So that .040 may start out as a .047 (number from thin air not actual) before it is ground flat so it will have more mass.

That ENR70 set 40-95 is going to feel lighter than medium gauge compressors if thast what you have, but it is not going to feel as light as a 40-95 ProSteel set for example...

But yes those are going to be a lighter feeling string overall...

4. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I just put a set of TI rounds on my Pino P and dig them. They feel nice and springy, especially considering the gauge. So far these are the nicest set of rounds I've played, I like a loose feel though. Tone is great too.

5. stevenmagro5150

stevenmagro5150

May 26, 2011
    Im having the same feeling , ive Been getting this for quite a while .. i bought a Sandberg California 5 stringer and Thats what i noticed , strings felt too Tight , So i swapped them with foderas 40-120 and They felt quite allright , Due to very Hot Temperatures here In Malta , this thing just Welds on me , strings feel stiff , its a drag , then ive noticed it was coming from the Neck ...try not To give the Neck too Much bow.. try keeping low Action , helps In sustain And softness

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    As SLaPiNFuNK said, those will have higher tension. If you otherwise like them, go to the next lighter gauge for better feel.