Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question on theory

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by pedalpointer, Apr 1, 2002.

1. pedalpointer

pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    Mr. Dimin,
    I'm a little confused about something, and was wondering if I could get an answer from you. I have a book that lists keys and "relative minors." For instance, G major and E minor. Is G major the same as E minor? If so, how can I utilize that information in playing? Thank you.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  3. hey guys

i know u probly went and had a look at that link, but i wanted to try and answer, just to see how my own theory is coming along :)

Eminor has the same notes as G major, but it starts on a different degree of the scale, your getting into modes there.

hope this is write, twas more a test of my knowledge then anything

cheers

*Si*

4. pedalpointer

pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    Sorry, I didn't see that one. But I still have a couple of questions. Okay, so Cmaj and Amin have the same notes, just a different starting point (A instead of C, where the Aeolian mode would be played)? So if the music is in Cmaj, I could play a line in Amin and it wouldn't sound like crap? Also, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "home note" in that thread. I've never heard that term before. Could you elaborate a bit? Again, thanks, guys.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Correct!

I use the term "home note" to denote the tonality or the key of the piece. For example the "home note" of C major is C and the "home note" of A minor is A although they have the same notes. There are also songs written in the Dorian mode (built on the 2nd degree). Using the term "home note" just gives the sense of where the root is.

Mike

6. pedalpointer

pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    Okay, thanks. I think I understand it now.:)

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Ed is absolutely right. I noticed also noticed his remarks on functional harmony in another post regarding transcribing chord progressions.

The key is knowing how a chord functions within a progression or a song. I just didn't want to add too much to the mix just yet.

I am glad that Ed is keeping me on my toes (now don't you have some museum business to take care of :D )

Ed,
    The record is great. Thanks for asking. It has recieved some nice reviews and Bassics Mag will be presenting a feature, lesson, transcription and recording in their next issue of my solo arrangement of "The Shadow of Your Smile".

Mike