1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Question Only a Noob Would Ask

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcblahflooper94, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    All right, I know that a guitar speaker will get blown out If you use a bass with it at too high of volumes, but I'm wondering if their was any possible way (under 100$, at that point I could just get the pedal) that I could connect my Fender 65 Princeton (model type PR 403) to my Acoustic B200 combo bass amp without blowing out the Princeton, because I really miss the reverb and the punch I could get out of that thing. Thank you for reading.

2. Dis-connect the Princeton's speaker, dis-connect the Acoustic's amp head, make a cable to run from the Acoustic combo's speaker to the Princeton's amp (in place of the internal speaker of the Princeton).

3. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Like I said, I'm still a year old noob. Would I be able to do this on my own, or do recommend I get assistance? Much appreciated, thank you.

4. I would recommend getting help as you don't want either combo's amp section damaged. It's not hard with a minimum of training, but without there are lots of chances for expensive error. :)

5. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    All right, thank you for your help. One more question. Would it be possible to have BOTH my Acoustic's head AND the Princeton head?

EDIT: just got another reply. :p

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Instead of that, what you should do is use both. Roll off the bass response of the Princeton so you don't blow the speaker and use it for your reverb and punch needs and let the Acoustic handle the overall clean and low bass sound, and connect your bass to both amps using an ABY box so you can switch the Princeton on and off as you need it, or you can use a simple Y-adapter you can pick up at Radio Shack for $6 or $7 if you don't want to switch it on and off. You'll need to experiment to get the blend that works for you, but a lot of bassists use tube guitar amps with regular bass amps, and it sounds really cool.

7. Explore a Community College or High School electronics class as a possible free source. They could use this as a real world application and a welcome discussion point from the sometimes dry course material? Just a thought....

8. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    by that you mean turn down the bass on the Princeton? Thank you so much for your response.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes. Roll off and turn down are interchangeable in this usage.

10. ^
    Yeah, I do this sometimes with my Hartke 3500, and my Vox AC30, rolling off the highs on the bass amp and the lows on the Vox, it's amazing how low my volume needs to be (on the guitar amp) to be heard along with my bass amp.

I don't worry about speaker damage at all.

11. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    All right, one more favor to ask: would you mind sending me a link to a Y cable? I'm just a kid and can't exactly afford saving 60-70$ on a ABY box >.<
    Thank you all so much for helping me, it is VERY appreciated, (;

12. Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but could I get a similar effect running a line out of the effects loop on my B200h to my Blues Jr.?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hmmm...not sure but maybe you could. I know you can send the signal to another amp that way, but I don't know if it would shut down sound to the cab you're using with the B200H. No harm in trying it, though...

mcblah, this could work for you, too. Try running a cable from the effect send of your amp into the input of your guitar amp. If it works without shutting off the sound to the combo cab powered by the Acoustic, you're in business. If not, back to the drawing board.

14. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Oh my god, it worked!! Exactly the sound I've been missing! Maybe later I'll take a picture... Ugh it's so great I can't wait to gig with this! Thank you SOO much!!

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Dang, now you've got me wanting to try it! Glad it worked for you!

EDIT: For best results, put the Princeton on top of the Acoustic combo and center the speaker to the Acoustic's.

16. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    already did. Hopefully I will post pictures tonight, that depends on how quick I finish this rough draft essay and a Global Studies project. It's a ****ing monster with them both at 1 1/2 volume.

17. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    This is a picture of the monster. It shakes my room with both volumes barely above 1, and I kind of understand how John Entwistle probably feels. :p :bassist:
    I know I'm C-stringless, waiting for my action to be adjusted by my teacher this Wednesday. If I did it, knowing my luck, It'd be bad.

EDIT: the satanic symbol with Death on the piece of paper to the right of my rig is A colorfully designed piece of paper from my buddies in art class. Ironically, the artist who made those pieces of graffiti is a huge Beatles fan, and fellow bass buddy. It was probably made as a joke, making fun of devil worshippers, I don't know, didn't care to ask. Just thought I'd clarify, because this is the internet, and chances are it'd end up being a huge deal.

Attached Files: