Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question regarding my Ibanez acoustic/electric

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Apr 7, 2001.

1. When I play it acoustically, there's nothing wrong. Let me point that out first.
    BUT, when I play it through my amp the D string barely gets amplified, if at all. I don't know what to do about it, and I'm wondering what could be the problem:
    The bridge?
    The string?
    The electronics?
    I have no idea what it could be, and I need to use it for the musical that a couple of my teachers are writing. Actually, the title of the musical is The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes, so from now on if I mention The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes that's what I'm referring to. :p
    Anyway, I know that it can't be the battery for several reasons:
    1) When I press the battery check button, the red LED lights up
    2) I've checked the battery with a battery tester
    3) If it WAS the battery, then why do the other 3 strings sound perfectly fine through my amp? :p

So if anyone knows, or thinks they know what it is, could you let me know please? Thanks. :)

2. armidex

armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    hey
    im not too sure bit if the note sounds fine and as loud and not dampenede when played acousticalliy if prolly wont be the brindge strings or whatever
    its most likely the pickups themselves have bunged up or so
    u allaz could try tuning another string to the pitch of d like the g string to d and play that and see if it sounds

allaz worth a try

3. this sounds like a setup problem, but anyway...

this is similar to a problem I had with my Hohner acoustic bass. it's probably due to the piezo pickup strip not having an even contact with the underside of the bridge saddle.
    I split the saddle into four even sized pieces and it evened out the string to string response (hey- it's a cheap bass).

taking the bass to a tech's the best idea- thay can decide whether to split the saddle / sand down the underside of the saddle flat or replace the pickup.

4. ::M voice on::
    Right-O, chaps.
    ::M voice off::
    I guess I'll be bringing it in tomorrow or Monday to see what's wrong with it. Hopefully not too much, but worse come to worse I could just use one of my other basses for The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes, although the music director wouldn't be too happy about that. :D
    Then again, I guess it would be a shame, because he REALLY loves that bass. He loves the sound you can get out of it, he loves the action, he loves the feel of it...
    And he was mostly amazed by the price at which I got it. :D