1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question to the GIBSON RIPPER users

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prengel_basser, Jul 23, 2012.

1. prengel_basser

prengel_basser

Jan 28, 2010
    I consider buying a vintage gibson ripper, because I really like the style and craftmanship of these basses! but I never had a chance to play one. I once had a gibson g3 (which I liked), and I have an idea of the gibson Grabber sound (a bit precision like).
    so my questions are:
    1. can you tell me something about the neck of the ripper?
    2. how usefull is the mid control?
    3. and most important: can any body supply soundsamples of one their rippers? Roundwound strings and played with a pick would be AWESOME!!!

I´m a P-bass guy, just for information.

thanks!
    Stefan

2. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    I also like Rippers a lot, but I am a flats and fingers guy.

Have a listen to the Gibson demo record they did for some sounds - no idea whether rounds/flats/fingers/pick, but gives a good idea of what you can get.

Too many people leave everthing on 10, and just use the varitone - ok so do I, but that is not what Gibson intended!

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/Ripper_publicity.php

3. prengel_basser

prengel_basser

Jan 28, 2010
    Hey! thanks for your reply! I know the fly guitar site and absolutely love it!!! I already spent hours on this site!!!!
    the tone samples are just too vintage for me. the ripper clip I like the most is this one:

but I don´t know if this is a good example for the ripper tone.

4. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Regarding the neck, mine was BIG. Wide, thick neck. It played very nicely.

I also just turned all the controls up---I didn't really use the mid control. I did use the selector switch to get different tones. The both-pickups-in-series setting is one of the punchiest, kick-you-in-the-rib-cage bass tones I've heard. But even with the tone all the way up it was not bright like a Fender. But, through using amp EQ I was always able to get a good usable rock tone from it. I usually played with a pick, and always with roundwounds, and it was nice and growly. Unfortunately I don't think I have a recording.

5. Neck: P-like, but with a flatter radius
    Midcontrol: nice to roll in, to sit nice & snug in the mix, but don't expect miracles from it
    Flats and a pick also good?

6. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    the neck is great but i had to rewire it thanks to a previous owner hacking the factory scheme.

body11.

7. prengel_basser

prengel_basser

Jan 28, 2010
    do you all agree that a ripper doesn´t sound as brilliant/open as a P-bass? I think I can´t live with less treble than a P-bass.:meh:

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Mine had one of the best necks I ever played. Really nice necks.

ripper.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my ripper has as much or more treble than a p bass:

ripper-03.

and IME, the necks aren't as chunky as the grabber or G3. i love ripper necks.

10. prengel_basser

prengel_basser

Jan 28, 2010
    So I see some ripper users here :)
    is anyone of you able to record some soundsamples?

11. psst, check my post (#5) ;)

12. prengel_basser

prengel_basser

Jan 28, 2010
    sorry but youtube germany can´t stream the video.:meh:
    I think a flatwound soundsample wouldn´t be that usefull for me, since I really like the brilliant and gnarly tone of roundwounds.

13. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    1. The necks are better than grabbers/g3s. They're not chunky baseball bat like profiles. Ripper necks are somewhat slim (in my hands they feel almost like a p-bass neck but just a tad slimmer). Fast to play and easy to get around.
    2. It's usefull in a way that's kinda hard to explain. But i just left it all the way up.
    3.Not my videos as i don't own a ripper, but plan on building two of my own for cheaper than buying online) But here's a good tone of an 82 ripper. both played with pick, and roundwound strings. Enjoy

14. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn!

Aug 24, 2009
    Northern CA,USA
    Nice basses,guys!

Only vtg Ripper I ever laid hands on was sweeeet!Natural finish,black picguard/headstock. (See my avatar.) The pic that johnk_10 posted basically.

It had a neck like a P,but slightly thinner(as somebody already said).The big bottom body was light,well-balanced and quite flat/slim in profile.Overall I loved this bass.

Can`t comment on it for tone/sound,but all the youtube samples of vtg Rippers I listened to were wonderful.Definately an old school and growly sounding tone.No idea what settings were used though.Be fun to experiment with that master tone selector thingy and see. :p

Hos

15. Moe Freaka

Moe Freaka

Feb 11, 2014
    Matthew Harris 336-469-3845
    Bassist, writer, teacher: Matthew Harris
    I have a G-3 that looks different than every one ive seen posted. Its ugly as sin. Really good deep sounding wood. Highs do good too. Pretty nice sustain. Mine is thin yet heavy. Clear epoxy "buck & a half pick ups. Dark fingerboard. Clover keys. Btidge cover. Needs some screws, electronic cleaning or re wiring. Switch is flakey. Make ma an offer! Lol

16. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    LOL! Guilty as charged! I owned a Ripper for a couple years in the late 70s, and I honestly don't think I ever touched any of the knobs, much less knew what they even did! (other than the 4-position switch, of course...which apparently I still didn't/don't know what it did; it's not a true Varitone w/ multiple capacitors iirc, right?)

17. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    IT doesn't have multiple capacitors. IT just changes the configuration of pickups. so the 1 position would be both in series, 2; is bridge pickup alone, 3: is both pickups in parallel, and 4; is both out of phase in series.