1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question to those who were an only child

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 18, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Do you ever wish you had siblings ?

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yes, It scews up the whole family thing. You miss out on the whole Aunt/Uncle thing.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I was an only child for nine years, then I got a half-brother. I think if he and I had been closer in age, and in a closer family, we would have had a really good connection, but as it is we barely have any relationship. I know that's not quite what you were asking, but I do wish things had gone differently.

4. I'm an only brat... it is interesting.

Kinda' lonely as a kid... but forced me to get out and socialize. I think I am better for it... and stronger. I also think I grew up a bit faster than some.

Thinking ahead I will have nobody really close to share the pain of the loss of my parents... when that time comes. And NO, I don't think a significant other would be able to share the pain in the same way.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    NO. :)

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I grew up an only child and feel the same as you.

As for the original question, no. Many of my friends had siblings, but I never felt as if I was missing out on anything. IMO, I believe it helped to build my creative side. If friends weren't around, I had to entertain myself.

Not to go off-topic, but nice user title, nad.

7. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Its a trade off. My wife was the first of five. Its nice to have a big family. But I think being an only child helps you to be more independent and creative.

I know one thing for sure. My daughter will have siblings.....in fact she's going to have a brother in about 21 weeks!:hyper:

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I never really missed having siblings.

My family has always been real tight. We had family things with my aunts, uncles, and cousins all the time. Heck, my cousins are more like my brothers and sisters than anything else!

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You can't really compare the two since you have nothing to compare them to.

Err... what I mean is, people without siblings just don't know what it's like with siblings. When I was away from my siblings, I missed them. But if they were never born, there would never be anything to miss. I can't fathom that, so I can't really compare it. There's definately a trade off both ways and nobody can really say which is better, since you can't experience both.

10. mrmoonjam

mrmoonjam

Apr 17, 2006
    Here, Now
    I've never wished I had siblings, including when my parents died, but I often have wondered what it would be like. As a kid, I sensed a general attitude that being an only child was less desirable. But when I would compare my life with friends who all had sibs, it looked to me like I had the better deal, no sibling rivalry or competition, didn't have to share parents' attention with anyone.
    I agree with the comments about growing up faster because of more adult input, more independence or self-confidence, and only kids' needing to socialize more with other kids. Ultimately, I think the quality of parenting is vastly more important than whether or not a kid has sibs.
    :cool:

11. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    I like being an only child. Although having a brother might have been fun, I've always liked being by myself. As for the aunts and uncles thing, I guess I'll have to find a girl with a few siblings, although I have no problem with a having a small family. Makes it easier for us to get together. I thank God every day for the way things turned out. :)

12. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    I wished that i had siblings,now i don't give a crap about it.
    I have a half sister which i have never met(i tried to,but i was denied of the oportunity to meet her by her mom)...
    Now i'm in my 30's and i have a 2 and year old daughter and i always tell my wife the there's no way that my daughter is going to grow up without a brother/sister.

13. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    I have seven younger siblings. The object of the game has always been to ignore that fact and act as if I'm all that matters. LOL.