a question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 13, 2005.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I was wondering do all bass strings have that colured wrapping on them at the ends? ive got 2 packs of pure nickel roundwound 'studio bass' strings and they dont have any form of wrapping on so do i need to wrap some stuff around it or not?
  2. no you don't have to, it's not all the strings have a coloured wrapping. But i don't know why... i think it's for different models or something like that...
  3. No you don't have to wrap them, just restring as they are and play.
  4. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Silk wrapping is not necessary. It dresses up the string and, as stated in the Ken Smith catalog, "protects your hardware." It also adds to the cost a bit. Case in point: Rotosound nickel swing bass sets are identical to the less expensive Roto bass sets. The difference is the silk wrap.

5. I think the one that need the slik wrap at the end, tapper down, is due to the process of winding the strings. Those require silk wrap is the one that is rough and may hurt your fingers as well.
    I think one of 2004 year-end BP magazine cover most think about the strings but not your question. Iwas wondering about the different of the process too and hope some day will be published.
    I was posting in this board for where to find this kind of knowledge as well. I got more question about the strings too.