Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A question....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thebeef, Aug 1, 2005.

1. thebeef

thebeef

Mar 3, 2005
    Tonight I was asked for a demo and an honorarium scale....I had the demo available, but I really didnt know what an honorarium scale was....I searched these forums and didnt come up with anything and I did a google and found very little....from the google search, i gathered that its a sliding scale in which you are willing to take less money per show if a promoter or club owner will guarantee you a certain number of performances....1st, I want to know if Im correct about that being an honorarium scale...2nd, what you would put down if you were a band that normally gets a couple hundred a show....say, if you usually get $300+cheap drinks(sodas)/show, how much of a discount would you be willing to give if they guaranteed 3, 5, or 10 shows? 3rd, do any of you have an honorarium scale that you use? if so please print an example for me, im pretty lost....txs in advance guys for your help....

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    IMO, that scale is only used when your band gets hired to be the house band. That would be a gig where you played 4 nights a week in succession for a few months or more. Then it works out because you leave your equipment set up there all of the time.

If this guy is suggesting that you do this when the gigs are 2 weeks apart, tell him that you only do the honorarium scale for house band gigs.

3. +1.

Generally this is the case. Where you are hired on a regular basis, say once a month, honorarium doesn't really work.

In my band, we don't use honorarium scale at any time, but we do cut deals where will "honour" our pay scale with a certain club if they book us for three or four gigs at a time. Thereby, if another club offers us shows at a higher rate, we don't change our scale for the first club.