Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Feb 27, 2002.

1. I have a couple of questions regarding heads and cabs.

1) If I hook up two cabs, both 8 ohm cabs, and one is 240 watts, the other is 250 watts. What ohms will it be at, and how much total wattage?

2) If my head was only pushing 350 watts at 4 ohms, would it be able to handle the above scenario, or is underpowering not a good idea?

Thanks for any help.

2. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    2 8-ohm cabs connected in parallel (standard) will give you a total impedance of 4 ohms, which will allow you to use your amp at full volume.

Each cab will receive half of the total power of your amp, in this case, 175W per cab. Each cab is capable of handling more power than that. So you will be fine. You won't damage your cabinets unless you "clip" your amp, which can burn up your speakers voice coils.

This setup should work just fine, just don't overdrive or "clip" your amplifier!:)

3. Another question then....

What if I only use the 240 watt cab? It is also availible in a 4 ohm cab, so again I would be pushing the full 350. Would this overpowering of the cab be a bad thing?

PS.
    Thanks for the prompt reply, and helpful input.

4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    It should not be a problem. That isn't really excessive power...you want to have some headroom to keep your bass tone nice.

The amp would work fine into a cab with matching impedance.

5. OK, thanks a lot.