Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cronus, Mar 18, 2002.

1. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    probly been asked a couple times and if it has punch me in the face :D
    j/k my question is..... if i were to play a small gig, about how much power should my amp be like 250 or more or what?

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Depends on the amount of people, the type of music you play... theres alot of factors really.

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    if youre playing a 4 string bass, and your speakers are pretty efficient, the room is fairly small, and the music you are playing doenst require a really heavey low end, then yeah 250 would probably be ok. If however, you play an extended range bass, or your speakers are rather inefficient, or you like more low end in your sound (like me) youll need more power. Im running 500 watts, and I want to be louder.
    buy he most powerful head you can afford.
    you can never have too much...

4. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    well i play a 5 string so i should have more that 250W ?

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I assume you're playing your metal from your e-mail address... yes you'll need alot more. Get a preamp and poweramp setup.

6. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    damn this is gonna cost me some money lol

but me and the band im starting isnt really planning on playing gigs very soon, so till then im probably just gonna have a big combo like around 150W just for jamming

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Yeah man, ndjx is right, youll need a lot more power eventually. a pre/power setup would be ideal, until then you might get by with an R1000 or something with a similar power rating. (1000 watts) the B string especially is harder on amps, even moreso if you crank the low end. The B will drive a solid state amp into clipping much faster than an E, so you need as much headroom as you can get your hands on to avoid that. good luck!