A quick grammar refresher.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For the record:

The term "no one" is two words. "Noone" is the lead singer of Herman's Hermits. An acceptable alternate is "nobody."

"Definitely" is not spelled "definately." It's definitely not spelled "defiantly," which indicates a disdain for authority.

Finally, from a recent post, "do" and "due" have completely different meanings (not to be confused with "doodoo"). The erroneous use of one in place of the other will invoke rails of derision from those in the know, and mountains of confusion for those less erudite.

There are several thousand more of these, but these have been bugging me the most lately. Wise up, people.
  2. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    And today's lesson is brought to you by the letter A for [dumb]arse.

Munji, you hit it right on the nail, as always. [​IMG]
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Thankyou! That one's been annoying me too. See Blackbird's thread :)
  5. No more hanging prepositions!
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    english is not my primary language, but damn there's a lot of bad spellers around the net

some more for the list:

"prolly" instead of "Probably"
    "tho" instead of "Though"
    "covor" instead of "Cover" (Foxy Grandpa)
    "becuase" instead of "Because"
    "freind" instead of "Friend"

and tons more...
  7. Wow, it's been a long time since I saw that word used.
  8. Yeah, they're terrible things to end a sentence with :)
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So sorry. This is my crime. I just figure no one will notice if I stick one on.
  10. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

Wow.. im famous ;)

Hmm. .dave.. do you wanna start a "PoP" covers band?

wElL aT leas I dUn SpEl lIcE dIs!!!

yeAh CoRn RulEzZzZz!!!

I think i scare any Numetal kids off when i tell them i like prince. Oh well back to my Cover songs ;)
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    how about theforms of it

it's= short hand for it is

its=possesive for it
  12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    im telling you because i care :)
  13. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

well.. that tickles my pickle!

..you rock dave ;) ill try to spell better for now on..

now lets do some Pop music Covors!
  14. Hey, Chill Out!... it is not a perfect world yet!
    Some people like me will never be able to spell or do math correctly no matter how hard we try.. Ever hear of Dyslexia? I am so dyslexic that I sometimes have to think about which side of the road to drive on. Dyslexia is not a choice......4Q

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Maybe not, but it's a great excuse for when you screw up ;) :D

Normal spelling and grammar usage has never seemed difficult to me; I suppose it's just not for everybody. A tough one is the proper usage of "layed" and "lied," as in to relax. My college English professor said it's one of the most commonly confused wordings out there.
  16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Here's something fun to ponder - I would have used the word 'evoke' in place of 'invoke' in the above sentence. Both words have very similar meanings and I'm not saying Munji is wrong here, but to me, 'invoke' connotes a willfull calling out, wheras 'evoke' has a more passive flavor, and is more likely to be used when the effect produced is less intentional (e.g., when the effect is produced by an error).

17. Nah, it's just that the last time, you called a double hanging preposition. I didn't even know they existed.
  18. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I think I agree with you on the invoke/evoke issue, SD, but I wouldn't have thought to point it out.
  19. The grammar mistake that drives me nuts is misuse of affect/effect :)
  20. That's about the only grammar mistake that I consistently make. I know one is a noun and one is a verb but I can not remember which is which. I think the former is the verb, am I right?