1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Quick Merchandize Question.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by chrisintosh, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hello, from what I have read from other posts I understand that in the United States it is illegal to give legal advice unless you are licensed to do so, but I think that this is a general enough question for me to ask. Plus I'm a Canadian if that helps at all.

My band is going to be putting out a new line of tee-shirts within the next couple of months, and I was just wondering about the legitimacy of one design.
    [​IMG]

In all probability, would this just be seen as a parody/tribute, or could we be looking at a royalty entitlement issue? Also, if a problem emerged, would the onus be on my band, or on the company who we contracted for the design?
    Thanks a lot in advance for any help that can be offered.

2. Anyone?

3. astorm

astorm

May 13, 2015
    ah this is my exact question too!

4. As I understand it. If a song is copyrighted and you use it, and get paid, you owe the artist some money. If the likeness on your shirt is copyrighted I would think the person that put the likeness on the shirt owes the artist something.

Our church belongs to something - name un-known - and the church pays a specific amount each year and this covers us when we use copyrighted songs. How that works I have no idea. I doubt giving legal advice being against the law. Getting paid for giving legal advice or acting as an attorney, when you are not, well that is against the law.

My law studies ended in 1983 when I took Business Law 101; which was required for my degree in Business Administration. Lot of water under the bridge since then.

Last edited: May 15, 2015