1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a quick one for New Yorkers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by casio, Sep 22, 2008.

1. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    Hey guys,
    Dont know if this is the most apropriate place to post the question but I hope you wont hold it against me!:D
    In any case, I came over to NY for a couple weeks and wanted to check out some shops for some gear, so I wanted some reccomendations other than Guitar Center for some actual good gear not necesarily being your typical "Jut Fender" shop!:D

And BTW if anyone has a gig somewhere in town in the next 10 days feel free to let me know, I'd love to come over for a listen :D

2. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Right down in the city there's pretty much 1 street full of music stores like Manny's, and others who's names escape me at the moment. You could spend a whole day just on that street and not get bored.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

W. 48th Street. Manny's, Rudy's, Sam Ash, all on the same street. There are others in other parts of the city, but 48th is the place to be.

4. bassobsessed

bassobsessed

Dec 20, 2007
    NYC
    Rudy's has by far the best selection of high end and vintage gear on 48th street. 30th street Guitars has good vintage selection and are good guys to boot

Carmine Street guitars in the village is great for custom work, repair/setup and the odd vintage piece. If in Brooklyn Main Drag Music in Williamsburg is a must. Also, South Side guitars tends to have very cool offbeat vintage gear - if a bit pricey

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    My two cents is: the most fun is probably had in the boutique/custom shops.

I hit Ash and Manny's in NYC last year, and I was disappointed.
    IMHO, these days, they're no different than a GC.

6. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Sadowsky! It's right on the edge of Brooklyn and has a nice showroom. They've even got an SA200 to play through.

Don't bother with Manny's or Sam Ash. Rudy's has an alright selection but they're way overpriced and full of themselves.

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    yep, pretty much.

If you want to check a cool lttle place that has a lot of vintage gear, check out Matt Umanov's on Bleeker St. downtown.

http://www.umanovguitars.com/

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

This should keep you busy..

NYC

NY Guitar & Bass Boutique and the Avella Coppollo Shop, 746 9th ave. 212-399-3414 nr subway lines 1, 9, C, F

30th St Guitars, 236 w. 30th st. (between 7th and 8th) Ground Floor., NY, NY 212-868-2660 Fax 212-868-2713

Ludlow guitars 164 Ludlow st, NY, 212-353-1775 Fax 212-353-1749

First Flight Music 174 First Ave. (bet 10/11th)New York, NY 212.539.1383 fax 212.539.1384 email ffmusic@att.net

Dan's Chelsea Guitars 220 West 23rd Street NY

Rudys 169 48th street, NY, NY, 212-391-1699
    fax 212-768-3782

Sam Ash 155 West 48th Street.NY

Manny's 156 48th st (btw 6th and 7th aves), NY,
    212-819-0576 866-pro-manny

Kings Music 2352 Flatbush ave Brooklyn 718-377-8532
    kingsmusic@gmail.com

GUITAR CENTER, INC. #81025 W 14TH STREET
    MANHATTAN,212-463-7500

GUITAR CENTER, INC. #81234-17 48TH STREET
    LONG ISLAND CITY 718-278-7794

GUITAR CENTER, INC #818139 FLATBUSH AVE BROOKLYN

Matt Umanovs 273 Bleecker Street

Sadowsky 20 Jay Street Suite #5C, Brooklyn, NY
    (718) 422-1123, Fax (718) 422-1120

Brooklyn Gear 20 Jay Street - Suite 1002 Brooklyn, NY 718.858.4900 fax. 718.858.2434 877.700.GEAR (4327)

Aguilar Amplification 599 Broadway, 7th Fl NY,
    800-304-1875 Fax:212-431-8201

Epifani Amplification 68 34th Street, 3rd Floor, Brooklyn 718-832-4664 Fax: 718-965-3770

Fodera 68-34th st, Brooklyn, NY 718-832-3455 fax 718-832-3458

Royal Music Center 1966 Rockaway Hwy, Brooklyn, 718-241-3330

upstate
    Michael Tobias Design 3 Lauren Court, Kingston, New York 845-246-0670 Fax:845-246-1670

Stuart Spector Design, Ltd.1450 Rt. 212 Saugerties,
    800-825-8810 fax: 845-246-0833

Harvey Citron Enterprises 282 Chestnut Hill Road, Woodstock 845-679-7138 Fax:845-679-3221

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Don't forget Mandolin brothers in Staten Island!

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Rudy's is the only place I'll go for a setup or to buy anything. The nicest guys that actually HELP you and the Tech's are fantastic. I had them put one of their Pensa preamps in my G&L about 10 years ago (I think) and it still kicks ass to this day. Reminds me, My G&L has to go in for a good once-over.

Main Drag Music is about a mile from my house. They have TONS of vintage stuff. Their stock probably consists of 85% vintage, 15% new stuff. Last time I was there, they had a Stingray 5 for like $700...very tempting.

But I have mixed emotions about them (or at least one of the guys that works there). I dealt with them with amp issues; and both times, when I tried explaining what was going on...trying to give as much detail as possible so that a good idea can be reached as to what could be wrong, I was interrupted in the middle of my sentence and treated like I was the biggest idiot on the planet, and the guy actually almost yelled at me. Both times. The first time, I actually yelled back and was apologized to.
    No doubt the Tech is a smart MoFo, but he's got a bit of an ego problem I think.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I was in Rudy's about 6 weeks ago after the International GTG and it was nice--not mindblowingly great, but a good shop. The coolest thing, by far, was a '64 P with an original red-sparkle finish. It's priced at 21 grand (may actually be worth it in the vintage market), but the guy let me play it (it was a great bass, too). Odds are pretty good it's still there.

12. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I now have a reason to go visit my sister in NY. :smug:

13. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    thanks for all the input guys, really nice to see theres enough shops to keep me busy a couple days!:D

14. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    Don't forget Rivington Guitars and Guitar Man, both in the Lower East Side. Nothing to exciting about either, but if you are already in the neighborhood, you might want to check them out along with Ludlow Guitars.

I have my own question for those that mentioned setups. How much does Rudy and others charge? Just a ballpark range.

15. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City

16. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    My local faves are 30th Street, Ludlow, Rivington and Manzotti's

Then again, I am spoiled I grew up walking distance from Elderly Instruments in Michigan.

17. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    I like 30th street and rudy's. At Rudy's you don't have to compete with any knuckleheads and they have Pensa basses! yum.

18. jgoldbe

jgoldbe

Jul 9, 2008
    New York City
    +1 for Rudy's.

Everyone at Rudy's is so nice. I've had business meetings there and they all take you in as one of there own. if you go, talk to Jackson, he runs the bass department. Dean is a great person to talk to. You can tell Dean that Jonathan from Dijitalfix told you to go, he will take care of you.... maybe...

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I really like 30th St Guitars, for vintage perving and playing. They always have a bunch of great old basses, and a few good vintage amps to play through.

On different occasions in the last few years I've played an amazing Guild Starfire, a '76 T-bird, many '60s Fenders, Rics from all eras, etc. None were overpriced, for NY or any vintage shop, for that matter.

I wouldn't hesitate to have Matt set up my bass, either.

I always stop in to Dan's Chelsea Guitars when in the Apple. There are always a few great vintage basses and many guitars there, one of the original Ampeg Portaflex B-15s there that was owned communally by an association of NY musos in the early '60s. and he is a fount of stories and reminiscences, and a very nice guy to boot. If you have cash in your pocket and are see something you really want, he might cut a really good deal for you. I walked away from a black matching headstock dots/binding/oval tuner J from '66 that was an absolute stonker of a bass that he would have sold me for $6000 three years ago; that was well under contemporary pricing.

Matt Umanov is a cool little shop with a history, too, but expensive. I bought my '73 Jazz there, it was overpriced but a real fine beast, and I had to own it.

The GC in Midtown is a trip, but for all the wrong reasons. Avoid it unless you are made of strong stuff, or need an accessory (to a crime).

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    FYI,

manny's has sadowsky metros there now. and alot of eden / nemesis gear.

dan's is great, but dont expect to be there long. the shop's floor is incredibly small, and if anyone famous comes knockin', you get that odd feeling of "LEAVE", cause they pay no attention to you whatsoever.

cant go wrong at rudy's and yes, dean's the man. while they have the full line of berg, aguilar, modulus, mtd, etc., i've been seeing alot of really interesting vintage pieces, too.

and dang, didnt know about jimmy's shop! someone call up the shop!

as for setups, rudy's is "competitive". but the best thing about their service is the fact you can schedule an appointment. drop off your guitar that day, and get it when you go home. simple as that. waaaaay better than those other places that make you leave it with them for a week.

another great repair place is new york guitar repair: http://www.newyorkguitarrepair.com/

evan's the man.

and DO VISIT THE SADOWSKY SHOP. its really not that hard to get there. a simple jump onto the F train and a quick walk down jay street, and you're there in bass nirvana. and heck, its near grimald's pizza, the waterfront, and the brooklyn bridge where you can walk back to the FiDi / chinatown in style. definitely a fun day's worth right there.