1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A quick question about a cost for a neck mod.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kawai-chang, Oct 21, 2010.

1. I have a P-width neck that I'd like taken down to J-width. (Along with shaping, etc.)

As a ballpark figure, what might I be looking at cost-wise?

I'd be more comfortagble with a professional doing this than me going all "2001 ape-with-a-bone" on it.

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    It will be cheaper to buy another neck even if it's an American.

3. Really. Hmm. If that's the case, I'll probably just move the bass.

darn, I pretty much liked everything else about the bass.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    It will be several hours of skilled labor to cut, sand, and then finish the neck. I woodn't trust anyone doing it for less that $350.

5. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Why move the bass? Just buy a nice Warmoth neck (Assuming its a fender or similar) and have it shaped to a J profile. Then whenever you wanna sell it, throw the original neck back on. You could get a really nice neck from Warmoth for under $200.

6. If it is a bolt on just replace it with a J neck. Not that hard to do and would probably be less expensive than what you are wanting to do.

7. Well, here's the fly in the ointment: it's a 24 fret 2 octave neck, but it doesn't have any type of overhang. I.e, the last fret is at the end of the heel.

I've looked around for replacement necks, and am having a hard time finding a replacement.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    +1

A lot less work too.

9. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA

It may even be cheaper for someone to build a whole to new to spec than to mod the one you have

10. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    What is the bass make and model?

11. It's a Kawai KRB 55.

12. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    ...so a new neck will exceed the current market value of the bass.

13. Yeah, you're probably right. I could sell it as is, make some dough for it, and sock it away for another bass.

Too bad. As it stands it's....almost....ideal for what I'm looking in for in a bass.

14. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    if that is the case, then spending some money to make it perfect for you might not be a bad idea. If you are removing width of the neck, I can imagine it will require removing frets and much of a price quote you get will be refretting.

it might be possible to pick up a standard jazz neck and pay a luthier to convert your bass to fit it.

15. I figured it would involve a refret. I'd also probably have them do a re-radius as well.

I was just looking at it and thinking "Man, it's only an eighth inch off each side. why can't it be easy, cheap and well done?" LOL

16. I guess the next question might be: if I went REALLY slowly and carefully, could this be done by an amateur such as myself? I have slight woodworking skills.

17. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Actually, it's not as hard as you may think. I had something similar done. If they have the right milling machines, they can narrow it down for you. I almost had it done, but decided not to. You'll need a new nut though.

Doesn't need a refret per se. Will probably need refinishing there. Depends on what people charge. I'll figure a refinish of the neck is $75, new nut $65 or so, the actual cutting, maybe $150 more or less? Maybe even less.

My reshaping of my Roscoe Beck V was pretty reasonable. No new nut though.

18. I was going to strip the finish from the neck as part of the whole deal. I figured I could take care of that part myself, since I have plenty of time and elbow grease handy.

So, all told, I'd like to have the neck narrowed, re-radiused, and refinished on the back in a satin-y style.

Hmmm....summing all that up, I might be better off with another bass, LOL.

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Get a wood rasp and go to town! :D

20. It has been considered.