1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A quick question about Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ergodynebass, Feb 1, 2001.

1. I am thinking about buying a new bass combo amp to move up from my Crate BX-80. I was looking at the Ampeg B2 and B3 combos, I loved the sound and I really want an Ampeg. Does anyone own one of these or could tell me if this would be a good step up from the Crate because the Crate is lacking in high's, it sounds like crap when trying to slap or pop a bass.

Thanks in advance

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    BA-115

3. No, I played a BA115, it was alright but I'm looking for something with a little more wattage, maybe in the 120-150w range or so. I don't think that the BA115 was that loud enough or powerful as I would like in my next step up.

4. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    Stop wasting your time and your money going up gradually, take a big step(if you're a serious bass player) and get at least a 250-300 watt setup. If you are positive you want ampeg, look at what they have and save a little longer and get something that will be with you more than a year. Also, from what I hear, you should check out Mesa-Boogie. They make nice tube amps also. I went to Harmonycentral.com classifieds and found this ampeg head really quick for you..

Ampeg B3 Bass Head

Asking Price: US$250
    Condition: Excellent
    Description:

Ampeg B3 Bass Head - solid state; 9 band EQ; effects loop; 2
    channel switching; rated at 500 watts; 2 speaker outs; balanced
    XLR output; -20 db pad switch; solid performer for gigging. E-mail
    me for pics.

$250.00 (US). Buyer pays shipping. No CODs.

Also selling late 70s/early 80s Kustom 2x15 cabinet. In good
    condition. $150 takes it. Would like to sell within 100 mile radius of
    Appleton, WI so I don't have to ship it.

Seller: Rob Marnocha,
    E-mail: rsmarno@execpc.com (Profile)
    Post Date: 1/21/2001

Look around for some used ampeg heads and look around for a used cabinet that you like. You will be happier in the long run if you take the time now and do it right...

cameron

[Edited by camerondye on 02-02-2001 at 10:02 AM]

5. Well see, I really want to be a bass player, because I can play fairly well, but I just don't have much time to practice off of College corses and work. I just need something right now that has descent high's and low's and something that I can actually fit in my house (thus the reason I want a combo amp not a stack).

Anyways, Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll go to some places this weekend and try out there stuff. I know of one vendor that sells some Mesa-boogie so I'll check it out.

6. Even if u did get a 150 watt practice amp, the sound/volume difference probably wouldnt be noticable. see joris's tech question thread about that:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=8346

So, i would have to agree with camerondye, about the used ampeg stack idea, or if u are really against a stack, try for a carvin cyclops combo (1x15", 2x8" 600w).. which is large too, or the RCT 2x10"(600w too), and i have never heard the ampeg combos you listed. good luck finding a new amp!

7. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I was playing on a used B2 2 days ago in a shop and was liking the sound.Lots of highs and lows.So when I got home I looked it up at Ampeg's site and it says that the B2 has no tweeter.I'm like,Huh? So I email Ampeg and they got right back to me telling me not to believe everything I read on the web,the B2 does indeed have a tweeter.So I just might go for it 'cause I can get it for $350+tax. BTW,if you plug a 2nd 8 ohm cab into the B2 it goes up to 350w output.Yum.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ampeg has one of the most DE-INFORMATIVE websites I have ever seen.
    They put wrong the specs..
    The same applies to their Catalogs..