A quick question about decibels and watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ostinato, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    As I understand it form reading the amp faq, a 3db increase in SPL requires a doubling of wattage. Would I then be correct in assuming that 3db decrease would be equall to half the required watts?

ie. 750 watts - 3db = 375 watts?
  2. AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    From the pure physics perspective, it would have to be true. You might say why you're asking, though. Do you need a cheaper alternative? Something more portable? You found something that sounds good but doesn't have th epower of your current gear?

I don't think I would cut the power of my rig in half and expect to be almost as loud. Also, if you're changing speakers as well, a difference in speaker efficiency could be as significant as your change in amp power.
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    First off, a big hello to Bill, everybody should check out Bill Fitzmaurice's folded horn designs for bass guitar, they truly are innovative.

Actually Bob, I was looking at my power amp db levels and had no clue as to how they relate to total output, but now I'm a little more clear on it. You're bang on about why I'd ask such a backwards question though, I'm interested in getting an Acme Low B-2 :D