1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A quick question on truss rods

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 12, 2009.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    A couple of questions here.

I made all adjustments at the bridge to lower the action to get it as low as possible, but its still not low as I'd like it. I'm thinking I need to due a truss rod adjustment to make it a little lower, but the neck is straight.

I've always heard that if the necks straight that no adjustments to it should be made. So first off is snapping the neck advisable to get the action a tad lower?

I know which way to turn the truss rod if there is a bow in the neck and what not, but since the neck is straight I'm not sure which way to go with it to get the action lower.

Another quick question regarding action. The action on my acoustic is ungodly high and needs to be lowered quite drastically. I've never done a set up on an acoustic so any links or advice on how to lower it on that would be very helpful too as there are no saddle screws or anything on the bridge to raise or lower.

TY

2. Are you sure the neck is straight-did you actually check with a straightedge? I ask because it can look very straight, when it isn't.
    To further straighten it and lower the action further, you would tighten the rod by turning the adjusting nut clockwise, as viewed head-on. Be aware that over-straightening the neck will result in fret buzz near at the first few fret positions. Possibly on open strings as well.
    Before turning the adjustment nut it's best to loosen the strings first, to make it easier to turn.
    If the neck is correctly adjusted, but the action needs to be lower, you could add a neck shim if the bass is a bolt-on.

Action on your acoustic: acoustic what? Bass? Bass guitar? Or guitar?

3. ^ Exactly - You know how to hold the highest string down at the 1st & last fret, and check the clearance at the 8th ... right? I don't like mine flat because I get more buzz on the lowers than I like.

Don't back-bow it. Neck relief and action height are two entirely different, but related adjustments.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I didn't check myself to see if it was straight, but before I laid out any coin on it I did have the tech set it up to factory specs and I'd like to think that if it it needed a tweek he would've made it straight. I've only owned it a little over a month so I doubt that in that time its warped to the point of affecting playability.
    Wouldn't adding a neck shim actually make the action higher since I'm placing something under the neck? Again, never shimmed a neck so I do not know. It is a bolt on, so if the shim will help lower it then I'd much rather do that than tweek the neck. What would the approximate size or dimensions of the shim have to be?

Dunno if this will help with the shim question I just asked but, Id only like to drop the action on it about 1 or 2 mm max on the B E and A strings and about 1 mm if that on the D, so that they're a little lower from the 12th fret and up The G string is the only one thats playing like butta all across the spectrum.

Yes the other one I need to lower the action on is an acoustic guitar a friend gifted to me, its an Ibanez EW20 series, very pretty guitar and sounds pretty decent too, but its just sitting there going to waste because the actions extremely high. Its a real PIA to fret so I'd like to knock that out too.

I noticed the white part on the bridge comes right out so I was thinking maybe I could sand that down a bit to lower it but I'm not sure. I attached a pic of the piece I'm talking about just to clarify.

Yup sir, I know how to do all that, but Truth be told, in the 23 years that I've been playing, I don't measure anything when I do setups on my basses. I base every adjustment on how it feels in my hands when I play it. So far so good because this approach has never let me down over the years. My basses all get very low action and minimal buzz by the time I'm done with them. I know it probably sounds stupid to do it that way but in the end I get the results I'm looking for, nice low action resulting in effortless playability, and little buzz.

Attached Files: