Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A quick question regarding mesa boogie ventures...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arjue, May 22, 2003.

1. Hi guys!

I need your help...

I think its about time I really upped my gear, and I thought I'd start with my Amp.

I need an amp that suits rehersals to small gigs, preferably a combo, and I came across the mesa boogie venture. I was thinking of getting either the 1x15 combo or the 2x10 combo.

In your much more informed opinion, which do you think I should get? What are the pro's and cons of 1x15's and 2x10's? Or should I get a seperate head and cab?

Any advice or information would be much appreciated. Unfortunately, my amp knowledge is very limited (despite your incredibly indepth FAQ :) ), as is my experience with them.

Rock on!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd recommend a separate head, myself. As the proud owner of a Mesa Boogie Walkabout, I can highly recommend it, or the M-Pulse 360/600. What I like about the Walkabout, is that it is very portable (12" by 12", 13 lbs), comes with a shoulder bag, and yet has enough wattage (300w @ 4 ohm, and that's a conservative rating) to drive two 8 ohm cabs to respectable levels. And tone for days!

The 360 and 600 give you a little more EQ (which I don't really think is necessary) as well as some additional signal routing paths (which are nice), a very nice compressor, and a few more bells and whistles.

Another reason for getting the head versus the combo is the flexibility to mix and match brands. From what I can tell, Mesa's current amp offerings are at or near the top of the heap, while their cab offerings probably don't hold up as well compared to stiff competition from the likes of Epifani, Bergantino, EA, Accugroove, and the like.

Personally, I went with an Epfiani 1x12 and 1x10 setup with my Walkabout, and I am thrilled with it. Very full range, and very articulate. Sweet tone.

Hope this helps, Tom.

3. thanks alot tom. This info will be usefull.

how much did that gear cost you?

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I picked up the Walkabout used but in mint condition for $600, and the two Epifani cabs ran me something like $1,100 with tax included.

For the record, that little Walkabout will drive a whole lot more cab than what I use it with. Just for kicks, I tried it out driving both my Diesel Boogie 4x10 and my Eden 212XLT, and it powered them to very loud volumes just fine.

Later, Tom.