1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a quick question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jbahleda, Apr 12, 2006.

1. jbahleda

jbahleda

Feb 22, 2004
    My wife and I are both graduating college (2nd go around for both of us) and looking into getting teaching jobs in the Baltamore Maryland area. I am interested in anyone's experiences in the music scene (mostly looking for live Jazz clubs etc.) in the region, both for watching and playing.

2. STRONGBOW

STRONGBOW

Aug 26, 2005
    There's a bunch of spots with jazz between Baltimore and Washington. Fell's Point-- a cool, quaint, old port-side neighborhood in southeast Baltimore, has a couple of spots. For something a little more formal and sophisticated, there is a club called The 23rd Degree uptown in the Mount Vernon neighborhood. It is directly across the street from the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall. The club has a classic brick-walled basement stage, and a wine-bar upstairs. One New Year's eve I played there they had 3 bands going from 8 pm until 3 am. In DC of course there is Blues Alley in Georgetown and at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History there is the IMAX Jazz Cafe with great entertainment featuring the best of the local musicians (Chuck Redd, Steve Novosel, Billy Hart, James King, Larry Willis, et al) on Friday nights. There are myriad restaurants offering jazz too. U Street up near Adam's Morgan is the "old" jazz street. Even today it has something like 6 jazz clubs in a 2 block span including the best known: Bohemian Caverns (formerly the Cavern Club, since 1940 something), Twin's Lounge, Twin's Jazz club. The club "HR-57" is a little place/coffehouse up in that same district which is operated by the DC Society for the preservation of jazz, and it usually has open jams, and sometimes a house rhythm section on weekends-- come and be prepared to be carved! The Ellsworth Gibson Trio has held down a steady engagement at the 18th Street Lounge- forever. Its an after-hours club. I think they hit at 11 pm and go til 3 am every Friday and Saturday. This is just a start, because then you have the suburb joints like the Ice House in Reston, Tympano's Italian chop house in Rockville, plus several university jazz bands and the four military service jazz bands doing concerts all over the place all the time: The USAF Airmen of Note, the USN Commodores, the Marine Band has a jazz unit too and the Army as well. There are 2 jazz festivals, the East Coast Jazz Festival -- which is the 'real' jazz scene with heavyweights like Buster WIlliams and Fathead Newman and then there is something called "DC Jazzfest" with all smoothie/lightweights/soul types whom you never heard of-- don't bother. There is too much jazz there to take in at one time-- the Smithsonian sponsors jazz appreciation month in April, with continuing shows featured at the John F. Kennedy Center for the performing arts, and at the Wolftrap Center. The Merriweather Post Pavillion hosts name jazz acts too during their annual "season." As does the Montpelier Center for the performing arts in Columbia, MD, between DC and Baltimore.....then there is the Left Bank Jazz Society of Baltimore....it just goes on and on. DC is truly the Second City of Jazz -- but with a warm, family-like, down-home atmosphere.....DIG IT!

3. jbahleda

jbahleda

Feb 22, 2004
    thanks for the reply....cant wait to get out there and see live Jazz, small town ohio isnt the mecca for live jazz one would wish...thanks again

james

4. STRONGBOW

STRONGBOW

Aug 26, 2005
    Well, in the meantime, check out the Eddie Brookshire Quintet out of Cincinnatti.....with my old friend Jack Novotny on tenor sax...he and Joe Lovano grew up together in Cleveland...