Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A quick Thanks for Watt

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by DigthemLows, Oct 10, 2003.

1. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Just like thank you.......I was late onto the punk scene.....probably would have missed it if I hadn't got to see Firehose many times at The Cattle Club in Sacramento back in 1990.....Your stage presence is amazing. I bought a Bass back then and have never looked back.......it has always been there for me.......and you are partially responsible.....THANK YOU

2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Wow, great story. I found myself in the exact same place around the same time. Not meaning to steal your thunder, but since my story is very similar I thought I'd give the Reader's Digest (short) version of mine too, so Mike could hear it too, without having to spread it around too much...

It was around the late 80's, I was at a friends place and was asked to put on some tunes, so I grabbed a tape and stuck it in. He had music I had never even heard of before, really cool music that I grew to love fast. Bands like Dinosaur Jr, The Pixies, fIREHOSE and a ton of Fort Apache bands too many too name. Until that time I listened to whatever was popular on the radio, mostly glam metal and the like. (I was like 13, give me a break) I stuck this tape in, totally at random, having not heard of any of this music before. It was a compliation tape that he had made of a few of his vinyl albums, all of it was music by the Blake Babies. For the first time in my life I heard a sound previously unknown to me... Bass Guitar. I was so blown away I literally jumped up and said "What is that sound?" After a quick education on the differences between bass and electric guitar, my friend (oddly enough, named Mike) said, "Hold on, I'll play you some REAL bass" and he put on fIREHOSE. I was so completely in awe of the sounds that Mike Watt was producing that I decided from that moment on it was what I wanted to do, and seriously, the next day I bought a Series A P-bass and a Yamaha 40 watt practise amp to begin my musical journey. I know I will be eternally grateful to both Juliana Hatfield, the bassist on the the Blake Babies tracks that got me hooked, and to Mike Watt for showing me just how cool a bass can be. Every bass I have owned I have dubbed "Watt" and written it somewhere on it, with the exception of one. A Custom Shop Ibanez that I had made a few years back that was a little more special and unique, so I named it Juliana, and even had the lady herself autograph it the first time I met her.

So anyway, sorry to get long winded, but thanks again Mike, everytime I put on one of your records, past or present, you continue to inspire me to pick up the Thump Staff, and as simple as it may sound, all I can really offer you in return is to say Thank You. It is not much, but it is all a humble man such as myself can offer, being the humble man that I know you are, I am sure you can appreciate that.