1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Quick Tube Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdogg, Jul 27, 2007.

1. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm currently playing through an Ampeg SVT CL, and if I have a look around the back of the amplifier, one of the tubes has a distinctly blue glow, while the rest of the tubes are glowing in the standard orange color. This particular tube isn't glowing solid blue. The bluish tint is more toward the top of the tube. Also, this amplifier has 2 biasing LED's on the back panel, that are supposed to be glowing solid green when the amplifier is turned on, and not in standby. The LED on the left is solid green, while the LED on the right is barely glowing green. If I try adjusting the biasing screw, above the dimly lit LED, the light only gets dimmer, and then begins turning red.

The amplifier plays and sounds great, like the day I recieved it. So, am I looking at a tube going bad, or is this something more. This is my first tube amplifier, so if I'm getting concerned over nothing, I apologize. Also, if it is a bad tube, can you replace one tube at a time?

Thanks guys

2. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Any tube guru's out there, or anyone that's experienced this with their amplifier.

Thanks

3. JTK1

JTK1

Jul 26, 2007
    Blue glow is normal. If the amp is otherwise working fine dont worry about it.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  5. ... I thought you said a "quick question" .. :rollno: :D :D

6. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Awesome answers and links! Thanks Guys!!:hyper: