1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a quick tube question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 68Goldfish, Mar 6, 2008.

1. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Hey guys, just picked up a 72 SVT from another TB'er. I thought it might be a good idea to remove the back panel and inventory the tube compliment. I can't only see so much through the back panel. Is this a good idea. Can I take them out without worrying about anything. I see the big power tubes on the bottom, some smaller tubes behind them and then some tubes sticking out of the cieling.
    TIA TB:bassist:

2. AFAIK U can't hurt ANYTHING by taking 'em out & putting 'em back in. JUST do it carefully-line up the pins etc correctly & MAKE SURE you put em back in exactly the same spots!!! Can be a good idea to know what tubes U got where!

3. power amp:

6 6550's
    2 12BH7's
    1 12DW7

preamp:

1 6C4
    1 12AX7
    3 12DW7's

This was constant except for the very early ones which used 6146B power tubes and remained the tube compliment for the rest of the 70's up to the mid 80's.