Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A quickie Q regardin fills and coating..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, May 29, 2002.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I defretted my bass last night, and the wood filler I bought is way to thick and coarse.
    1. Does normal wood glue(white one) mixed with sawdust produce a good filler?
    2. Do numerous coats of polyurethane wood finish (with light sanding in between) cover up minor nuances on the fretboard? Or do I have to sand it silky smooth?

P.s. I´m also thinking about sanding my bass itself. It´s red and I´m more of a wood-man. What do builders use to seal up the wood? Wax?

2. A better filler is super glue mixed with fine, powdered dust - even from your own fingerboard. White glue works but is not totally impervious to some of the gunk that a fretboard can acquire.

Any sanding on your fingerboard should be done with a radius block to keep the curvature consistent. It'll make for a better setup when you get it restrung.