1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A quickie Q regardin fills and coating..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, May 29, 2002.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I defretted my bass last night, and the wood filler I bought is way to thick and coarse.
    1. Does normal wood glue(white one) mixed with sawdust produce a good filler?
    2. Do numerous coats of polyurethane wood finish (with light sanding in between) cover up minor nuances on the fretboard? Or do I have to sand it silky smooth?

P.s. I´m also thinking about sanding my bass itself. It´s red and I´m more of a wood-man. What do builders use to seal up the wood? Wax?

2. A better filler is super glue mixed with fine, powdered dust - even from your own fingerboard. White glue works but is not totally impervious to some of the gunk that a fretboard can acquire.

Any sanding on your fingerboard should be done with a radius block to keep the curvature consistent. It'll make for a better setup when you get it restrung.