1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Rack Case for an Ampeg SVT-7 Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Imaginos, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    Hi TB!

I'm going to order an SVT-7 (thanks for all the GAS, guys!) today or tomorrow from Thomann, but I'd love to have a rack case to go with it. Now, I've never owned a rack-mounted amp so I'm a bit lost when it comes to the actual physical dimentions et cetera. I emailed the store in question about my dilemma with the specific product, but it has been three days and they still haven't got back to me. I just want to order the damn thing, not wait for weeks for an answer! :p Also, I'm looking for a smallest case possible since I won't be adding any other rack units in the foreseeable future.

So, those wiser than me, what kind of rack case would you order from this site: Welcome - Thomann UK Cyberstore ?

I've been considering a Gator GR-2S (http://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_gr2s.htm?sid=5a22884f4b9283d8699d8340b3d0a4b5) because of the portability and relatively small size. Would this be big enough and a good choice for the SVT-7?

Thanks for all the help beforehand!

2. I'd start with RacksandMore.com They build rack cases to size for specific models including the Ampeg SVT 4-PRO. Good luck and congrats on the new purchase! From what I've read the 7-PRO sounds killer. Now I want one too... LOL.

3. AFAIR the 7Pro comes with rack ears so you can mount it in any 19" rack with at least 2 rack units.

4. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The standard is for a 19" rack, measured from the outside of the ears. It's divided up into vertical rack "spaces" each of which are 1.75 inches tall. I see in the manual for the 7 pro that it's 4 inches tall with feet, which is going to mean 3.5 without feet, which means 2 rack spaces.

I would suggest going to a local music store that also rents backline, and ask them if they have any used 2 space rack units they want to get rid of It would be rather ratty looking, but probably the most durable and inexpensive option.

5. As others have said, any standard 2 space unit should work. But if you're gonna rack it...I recommend getting a 3 space and putting some kind of power conditioner/breaker (like a Furman).

One of the things I like about my SVT-7 is that the rack ears are an optional install. I carry mine in a Gator Case that was made for a Micro keyboard/multi-effects pedal.

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I don't know the depth of the 7Pro, but if it's shallow/short enough, you may be able to use an effects-depth rack case instead of a standard rack case; saves space and weight, and makes handling the rack case a little less awkward.

7. Gator makes cases for every purpose. That's how I'd go.