A Rather Expensive Radio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sock Justice, Jun 21, 2002.

1. To start off this thread, I'm not sure if it should be in Amps, or Effects...or Misc, so, lovely moderators, please feel free to cart it wherever it needs to be. Sorry for the trouble.

So, I own a Fender BXR 200 Combo, and to say the least, I'm not happy with it. One of the main reasons for this, is that when I turn the volume up, I can hear, of all things, COUNTRY MUSIC coming through the amp. I don't really have anything against country, but I do find it bizarre. When I start playing, it's not noticable at all, but, for instance, if the music all stops, and it's one of those "sensitive" moments when everything comes down, it can be made out, if barely. Now, when I add in my Wah pedal, it literally BLARES (illustrated, obviously, by the veins popping out of my head in frustration).

I mean, thankfully I don't play death metal, or something, but it drives me absolutely nuts. Does anybody know why in the bloody oats my amp is this huge, expensive, Top Ten Country Fan?

2. Sounds like a shielding problem. You may want to change your lead for a better shielded one. Essentially your setup is acting like an antenna (guitar and lead!) and the amp is amplifying the signal and driving the speaker with it. My Trace Ellito does is sometimes (not country thankfully!) but my little Ashdown combo doesn't! Hmmm, maybe it's not your lead, maybe it's the shielding in your amp!

Fortunately when I play through my Trace rig it goes away! It's only there very slightly when I'm not playing!
  3. So, I'm not the only person with this problem, then, huh? I wouldn't mind if, say, I recieved like, some crazy bebop the whole time...always makes me creative...but COUNTRY? Anyway, a sheilding problem? Sounds like one of those "technical" things that usually ends with me in the corner, curled up in the fetal position, pliers up my nose, and hands bound with super-glue, crying my eyes out. If you didn't get the picture, I know nothing about the technical side of gear. I guess that's what happens when you're young and dumb, huh? Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll try to dig up someone who can attempt to help me out...or atleast help me remove misguided tools from myself.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK - for starters, does it go away when you unplug the instrument cable? If yes, then plug a cable in with no bass - hear it now? If no, it's probably within your bass. If yes, try a different cable.
  5. I've seen (heard) this happen a lot. Usually, it's with my guitar player friends -- it's never happened to me.

A couple of weeks back, my band was practicing at a local rehearsal studio complex. Whenever we stopped, loud and clear through our rhythm guitar player's amp, came the vocals from another band. Someone was using a wireless mic, and our guitar player's rig just happened to pick it up.

I used to think it was just a problem with the shielding on the guitar, but I guess it could be a 'problem' with the amp, too. In your case, I'm betting on the guitar.

I've heard of folks lining the electronics cavity with aluminum foil to get rid of this and other problems. I don't know if it works or not.
  6. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Although it's pretty funny, yes, your entire system is acting like a radio, and really - that is NOT a good thing. The instrument cord may be acting as an antenna, and one thing to try is changing the length of the instrument cord. As Heavy Duty started to suggest, you need to eliminate all possibilities one by one. First, unplug the bass AND the cord from the amp. If you're still getting "music" out of the amp, then the problem is in your amp - somewhere. You may have to shield the amp, or do some electronic stuff like put ferrite beads over the speaker leads -- stuff like that. It is also possible the ac line cord is acting as an antenna. If the music stops when you take your bass and cord out, then, again, the bass and/or cord are, uh, playing a part in attracting these radio waves. it is possible you need a new/better/different length cord, or else it is possible your bass itself is picking up the "music." If that is the case, then you need to shield the electronics (if applicable) in the bass.